bass ackwards

2 part mold question?

vaseline works great for 2 part plaster molds and may work for resin as well ? I just made a 2 part resin mold and tried a silicone release agent a co-worker suggested . You brush it on and it dries but leaves a film .

When I tried to separate the two resin halves they appeared to be fused solid and I was thinking "great after all that work @#$%!" I kept prying the two halves and slowly they separated giving me a perfect 2 part resin mold . I think next time I'll try multiple coats of the release agent and see if that helps

Meister, what is the brand name of the silicone release agent?

I want to use resin for a 2 part mold as well, this stuff sounds like it'll work.

vaseline works g

reat for 2 part plaster molds and may work for resin as well ? I just made a 2 part resin mold and tried a silicone release agent a co-worker suggested . You brush it on and it dries but leaves a film .

When I tried to separate the two resin halves they appeared to be fused solid and I was thinking "great after all that work @#$%!" I kept prying the two halves and slowly they separated giving me a perfect 2 part resin mold . I think next time I'll try multiple coats of the release agent and see if that helps

Hey guys, 2 part resin molds do not work because they warp from the heat of the plastic and you end up with a 1/4" gap in the middle. The hotter the get the more they warp. They work fine for 1 piece molds but not at all for 2 piece. Durhams is still the best stuff I have found for 2 piece molds.

I have made two part molds from both Durhams and resin . The curing temp on the resin is a direct result of how much hardener you add.

I think I went with something like 10 drops hardener per oz . of resin.

This is also with TAP casting resin. the first molds I tried with polyester fiberglass resin got way too hot and cracked with the same 10 drop formula . The finished 2 part resin molds will soften up some and warp if they're allowed to heat up in the sun . I keep them clamped together when not being used. You can try heating the halves up in the sun , clamping them together until flush and then cooling and it might cure the warping(1/4" gap) between the two halves.

I use a Canola Oil Spray as my release agent on plaster molds. Spray it and let it sink in for 10 or so minutes, no marks and almost no bubbles in the plaster. The plaster absorbs the oil and gives the mold a softer feel until it dries out overnight. Perfect separation, sometimes to perfect I've dropped the lower half of a mold onto the patio more than once.

I've not used any release agent for my plaster mould,though I did originaly spray the inside with the kind of paint called BBQ paint heat resistent I guess,with mixed results.Some of the paint came off onto the lure this easily easily removed with meths also the surface of the lure is quite matt and I find going over it briskly and carefully with a blow lamp gives it a nice shine,I'm sure the fish don't care!

My whole method is probably crude looking to you guys so far I've only made a kind of Mag Dawg of my own and use melt down scraps in a saucepan resulting in some dull strange colours but the action is great.

There is nowhere here in in England or the rest of Europe apparently to buy raw material,(soft plastic not plaster !!)so importing such bulky stuff from the US is too expensive.