fishingislife

Lee 20Lb Lead Melting Pot For Soft Plastic

Good Morning,

I'm new to the forum here and looked about 20 pages deep into the 'soft plastics' forum and couldn't find the answer to this question. (I apologize if I was just blind)

I'm preparing to mold & pour my own 6"- 9" hand pour swimbaits. Will a Lee 20lb lead melting pot do the job for pouring? If not, which pot is the best option in the $50-$100 price range? If it exists?

Thanks!

I appreciate the fast response Jig Man,

I assumed that a downpour pot with a temperature control would be the easiest way to keep plastics at a consistent temperature and achieve the cleanest pours. This is the only way that I've seen the local custom worm guys pour their products in the past. Maybe I need to consider starting with the basics in microwave/pyrex.

Lee lead pots are not intended for pouring plastic.  They run too hot and are not designed to hold the lower temps plastic requires.  All you will do is burn plastic.  If you want to use Lee pots, buy one made for plastic (that's what they guys you referred to are using).  The microwave and Presto pots mentioned above are also good alternatives.

Edited by bryanmc

Low wattage microwave from WalMart.

A high wattage microwave has a tendency to burn the plastic in the middle of plastic while the outside is too cool.

Get a good digital thermometer (probe type) and stir the plastic to make sure all the mixture gets to 350 degrees (to fully change state).

Use a good Pyrex cup to heat your plastic. I normally heat 4 oz at a time (1/2 cup). You can be heating another cup while you pour your first cup.

To start....keep it simple!

Edited by DaBehr

I think they had one some wheres. But presto pot is the way to go, definatly if your making one pc molds, makes it a pc of cake. Just make sure you put a metal bottom on your molds allowing it to slide under the nozzels easily.

This might help:  http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/topic/14203-pouring-station/?hl=kajan#entry106399