Brent R

Glove

That's a good problem to have. Wear it like a badge of honor. :D

Ben

Thanks Ben I agree. But my thumbs are killing me. Can't hardly thumb the line on my reel. Just need some relief. But i don't want to stop fishing because they are just starting to bit good.

take care, Brent

I hate wearing gloves unless it's absolutely necessary. Especially when your talking about something like thumbing your reel spool. Try putting a little super glue on your thumb. I know some folks will think I'm crazy and will tell you to avoid this, but I get super glue on my fingers all the time building baits and it's not a big deal. If it gets built up too much I just take some sandpaper and sand the glue down. It will come off much quicker than you think. After sanding it down it usually starts to peel up enough that I can get ahold of it and take it right off.

People with soft hands might think twice about trying this, but for someone that's worked with their hands all their life, and has the callouses to show it, it ain't nothin'.

Ben

Ben your right i don't like gloves either, but i thought i could one on my left hand. Some kind of half glove. I know i've seen some like i want some where just can remember where. I have worked with my hands all my life. But ever since i had that brain tumor i don't use my hands so much except working with baits. I use to work in the shipyard years ago so when i was younger it didn't bother me so bad. Oh well guess i'll keep looking. And Gene that's a good idea never thought of that. So thanks for the help.

take care, Brent

When it's cold I wear some underarmour camo gloves.  They're spendy, 35 bucks I think.  Pretty thin but get me by keeping hands warm.  Found that I can cast and feather a spool well with them too.  A cheaper version are the white thinsulite glove pairs usually sold in a bundle of 10 pairs works out to be about 23 bucks a pair.  Or... you could take me fishing and I will thumb both of our fish.  Have fun!

When it's cold I wear some underarmour camo gloves.  They're spendy, 35 bucks I think.  Pretty thin but get me by keeping hands warm.  Found that I can cast and feather a spool well with them too.  A cheaper version are the white thinsulite glove pairs usually sold in a bundle of 10 pairs works out to be about 23 bucks a pair.  Or... you could take me fishing and I will thumb both of our fish.  Have fun!

If you live in the Cal Delta you need to be taking me fishing     :?

You might try a latex cover just for your thumb, called a "finger cot".  But I second Ben's suggestion to put some super glue on it.  I use that in the winter when I have skin splits on my fingers and it works very well. 

I do the same thing Bob. A little denatured alcohol or acetone in a cut will definitely get your attention. :eek:

I do the same thing Bob. A little denatured alcohol or acetone in a cut will definitely get your attention. :eek:

X3  Just don't try and hurry it along with the accelerant! OUCH!!!

I clean it off my fingers with acetone when I'm done building, but I leave it on my finger cuts, because acetone hurts, too!

X3  Just don't try and hurry it along with the accelerant! OUCH!!!

I clean it off my fingers with acetone when I'm done building, but I leave it on my finger cuts, because acetone hurts, too!

Ouch is right. I had no idea just how hot super glue gets when you hit it with a little accelerator. Glued some paper towel to my finger one time and I swear I saw smoke.

High-Friction Guard Tape

22r7001s2.jpg

Used in many industrial applications, this tape increases grip and protects against cuts or abrasion. It is made from cotton gauze coated with a latex compound.

Widely used medically as well, this is a tape that sticks to itself, not to other things. It holds its shape well once formed. This makes it ideal for carvers' finger guards; they can be slipped off when not in use.

Guard tape also makes an ideal wrap to increase tool handle friction and has dozens of uses around the shop, garden and home.

Made in USA.

High friction guard tape.jpg

post-18480-0-96877800-1411829349_thumb.jpg

We use gloves down under in Oz for handing fish all the time - especially murray cod, they have mouths like razor sharp sandpaper for gripping their prey.

Getting covered by a bit of claret is a badge of honour.

DSCN0031_zpsbaca40e9.jpg

There are many gloves available here specifically for fishing, but I've found that the cheapo womens gardening gloves work just as well and are half the price. Latex/rubber/silicon palm and fingers, but mesh on the back. I just put it on once I've got the fish under control rather than wear it all the time.

Anything like these http://www.savingwithshellie.com/womens-garden-gloves-6pk-11-50/ (though it's usually harder to get 'manly' coloured ones - unless you want to stop your buddies stealing them :wink: ).

I have also just cut the thumb off a glove in the past to grip the bottom jaw, but the fish I catch are so big that I have to put my whole hand in the mouth to release the hook :P

I think i found something that might work. I will let you know as soon as it comes in.  And i will tell you this....I'm throwing a swim jig.  The fish are starting to move around a little and starting to bit better. About 2 months or so ago i had a 20lb  2oz bag pitching a jig. It had been slow all morning but it started to rain a little and they turned on. It only took about 45 minutes to catch my best 5. Just goes to show a blind hog can find a acorn every now and then. Thank ya'll for all the info and keep it coming in case what i ordered doesn't work.

I know i don't say it enough but they are a great punch of guys on here. And i wish i could meet everyone of you. God bless and take care, Brent

Edited by Brent R

High-Friction Guard Tape

22r7001s2.jpg

Used in many industrial applications, this tape increases grip and protects against cuts or abrasion. It is made from cotton gauze coated with a latex compound.

Widely used medically as well, this is a tape that sticks to itself, not to other things. It holds its shape well once formed. This makes it ideal for carvers' finger guards; they can be slipped off when not in use.

Guard tape also makes an ideal wrap to increase tool handle friction and has dozens of uses around the shop, garden and home.

Made in USA.

That looks like great stuff!