mcallister920

What Does Your Tackle Lair Look Like?

20 below wow and I thought I had it bad when it hits the teens. Years ago I worked in Michigan and whenever it got overcast for to long I would pack up and migrate south until the next year I can't imagine 20 below that's about 60 below my comfort zone

I just don't know how you guys make it with high 30's for the lows.  Wool gloves?   :lolhuh:

Ok jokes aside I would prefer my shop to be in the mid 50's or so as that is a comfortable working temperature for me. Yesterday I spent half the day outside in my shop but it was 33 when I started and warmed up to 43 in the shop by the time I finished working up some stock.  I have a kerosene heater and can get it up to 80's starting from sub zero if need be.  Insulating a space makes a huge difference and can really allow you to use a space year round.  My main shop gets used for a lot of woodworking so most stuff gets kept inside with regards to soft plastics.

For lures I end up working in a lot of different places.   I keep everything organized and portable and will work from different places.  I have poured in the past in the house set up with a fan/window, in the garage, then of course out in my shop. I just push my soft plastic "station" wherever I need it.  I will set up the microwave and/or presto pot and pour I don't leave stuff out typically and everything goes back in its place.  I absolutely hate having to look for something or move stuff to work as it wastes too much time. I initially had an L shaped work bench but it took up way to much space I wanted for tools.  It was nice for lure making as had a lot of real estate.   I made a more traditional work bench now.   I have an area set up with lips, line ties, patterns, rattles, weights, etc... that is easy to get to and keep blanks in containers.  Paints are in large tool box along with airbrushes, hoses, etc... I have a compressor and use a box fan with filter set up to spray in (water based).  It makes heading out to the shop and making some cranks, topwaters, or pouring plastics very enjoyable and productive.  If it is cold out I will topcoat inside and just set up the rotating wheel on the a card table or dining room table.

My outside shop has the typical woodworking stuff in it.  Table saw, band saw, lathe, router, scroll saw, joiner, planer, spindle/belt sander, and assortment of hand tools.  Everything is on rollers so I can move stuff as needed. For lure making it can be set up so that I can get to everything if set up around the wall.  I wished the shop was a little larger but I can go from rough cut lumber to finished blanks without moving anything.  Makes it nice to resaw on the band saw, then hit the joiner and planer, and cut to blanks on the table saw. Have a second smaller bandsaw to cut lures out, then drill press set up, and sanders.  Surprising how easy it is to have baits to paint in short order once you get it worked out.  It makes heading out to the shop and making some cranks, topwaters, or pouring plastics very enjoyable and productive.  

If it is cold out I will topcoat inside and just set up the rotating wheel on the a card table or dining room table.  With a box fan and the right filter I can spray water based paints indoors without any over spray.

DSC_0653.jpg

1.jpg

DSC_0255_zps6ebaf099.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

Edited by Travis

My shop looks like somebody tossed a bomb full of fishing stuff in it and shut the door....LOL   And am I the only one that paints standing up? I have a bar stool I use to take a break but I do almost all my painting standing up. Anyone have a good lighting recommendation? I starting to think I need some above and below to get rid of the shadows. We are about to do a complete remodel on my shop so I was just looking for ideas.

I just don't know how you guys make it with high 30's for the lows.  Wool gloves?   :lolhuh:

Ok jokes aside I would prefer my shop to be in the mid 50's or so as that is a comfortable working temperature for me. Yesterday I spent half the day outside in my shop but it was 33 when I started and warmed up to 43 in the shop by the time I finished working up some stock.  I have a kerosene heater and can get it up to 80's starting from sub zero if need be.  Insulating a space makes a huge difference and can really allow you to use a space year round.  My main shop gets used for a lot of woodworking so most stuff gets kept inside with regards to soft plastics.

For lures I end up working in a lot of different places.   I keep everything organized and portable and will work from different places.  I have poured in the past in the house set up with a fan/window, in the garage, then of course out in my shop. I just push my soft plastic "station" wherever I need it.  I will set up the microwave and/or presto pot and pour I don't leave stuff out typically and everything goes back in its place.  I absolutely hate having to look for something or move stuff to work as it wastes too much time. I initially had an L shaped work bench but it took up way to much space I wanted for tools.  It was nice for lure making as had a lot of real estate.   I made a more traditional work bench now.   I have an area set up with lips, line ties, patterns, rattles, weights, etc... that is easy to get to and keep blanks in containers.  Paints are in large tool box along with airbrushes, hoses, etc... I have a compressor and use a box fan with filter set up to spray in (water based).  It makes heading out to the shop and making some cranks, topwaters, or pouring plastics very enjoyable and productive.  If it is cold out I will topcoat inside and just set up the rotating wheel on the a card table or dining room table.

My outside shop has the typical woodworking stuff in it.  Table saw, band saw, lathe, router, scroll saw, joiner, planer, spindle/belt sander, and assortment of hand tools.  Everything is on rollers so I can move stuff as needed. For lure making it can be set up so that I can get to everything if set up around the wall.  I wished the shop was a little larger but I can go from rough cut lumber to finished blanks without moving anything.  Makes it nice to resaw on the band saw, then hit the joiner and planer, and cut to blanks on the table saw. Have a second smaller bandsaw to cut lures out, then drill press set up, and sanders.  Surprising how easy it is to have baits to paint in short order once you get it worked out.  It makes heading out to the shop and making some cranks, topwaters, or pouring plastics very enjoyable and productive.  

If it is cold out I will topcoat inside and just set up the rotating wheel on the a card table or dining room table.  With a box fan and the right filter I can spray water based paints indoors without any over spray.

DSC_0653.jpg

1.jpg

DSC_0255_zps6ebaf099.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

Travis, you do have a nice setup. I envy it. My garage and work bench is so cluttered with stuff that I have to pile it in the boat to work on stuff and pile it back on the bench to go fishing.

• Like 1

Where all the magic....

attachicon.gifIMG_0864.JPG

or epic fails....

attachicon.gifIMG_0863.JPG

happen.

And the latest new gadget....

attachicon.gifIMG_0862.JPG

a soda blasting cabinet and jury rig stand.

Boisarc You also have a nice clean and well organized shop. I should save you guys pics and start getting rid of some of the stuff that is cluttering up my work area. I think, I may be a hoarder.  :nono:

well, I'm currently going through the nightmare of Moving my "tackle Lair" Bought a new house and now i have to try and Redesign it all over again. Three things i plan on doing differently about the new setup is 1- making the work bench top come out past the face of the bench so I can put my elbows on the bench and have my legs under it. For doing fine line detail work. 2-wiring outlets on the face of the bench so heat guns and hot knives don't have to be pugged in on the wall/back of bench. Only to get in the way and knock over paint bottles etc. and 3- making a dedicated spot built into the bench for my compressor. 

Are there anythings you guys wish you would or did do differently to make your setup more Practical?

Mcallister,

I just redid my lair. I bought 2 6ft long laminate counter tops from Menards for $25 each and set them on some of those cheap unfinished wood base cabinets. I then bought a small wall cabinet as well. Now I have 12 feet of space so I can have my painting, lure turner and working area all in the same place. One thing I did add was an LED shop light ($50). The extra light is great for working on those fine details. I then bought a small pegboard for the wall to keep all my tools in order.

What would I do differently? I'm not sure, this setup has been pretty sweet so far.

photo 2.JPG

photo 56.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 56.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 56.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 56.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 56.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 56.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 56.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 56.jpg

post-45642-0-38046000-1428010811_thumb.jpg

post-45642-0-64819800-1428010819_thumb.jpg

I like this thread!... Puts a face to a name better than a picture of your face.... Heres mine... One day ill build me a shed, but until then the wife stuck me in the corner... Its right by the front door, so i can open it and point a fan out when i melt plastic... No paint booth yet, just spray paint on the back porch and bring im to dry...... Enjoy (ha ha)20150403_202537.jpg

20150403_202537.jpg

20150403_202537.jpg

20150403_202537.jpg

20150403_202537.jpg

20150403_202537.jpg

20150403_202537.jpg

20150403_202537.jpg

post-46331-0-03245300-1428111112_thumb.jpg

Due to fiscal hard times, I had to give up my house and my man-cave two years ago. After a long, hard struggle, I am back. In a few days, wifey will start looking for a new house with space for a LARGE cave.

There will be a period of re-building; 16' bench, possibly two, lots of shelf units, lots of power sockets, lots of light, more tools. This time I am going to do a proper dust extraction system.

Then I have to rebuild the projects that I had to throw away; a bigger test tank with under water video capability, GoPro video, new design duplicator machine V3, capable of upto 12" lures, spray booth, though I still doubt it will ever get used. I have started designing a new ergonomic computer/CAD table.

Once set up, there are projects that I want to get back to; exploring multi-section swim-baits, start exploring gliders (hence the 16'x4' test tank), safety lip duplicator router, many more that I cannot remember at the moment.

Now that the decision has been made, I am very excited about it all and can't wait to post pics of my brand new, clutter free cave, and a few more when it gets cluttered up a bit.

Dave

• Like 2

Due to fiscal hard times, I had to give up my house and my man-cave two years ago. After a long, hard struggle, I am back. In a few days, wifey will start looking for a new house with space for a LARGE cave.

There will be a period of re-building; 16' bench, possibly two, lots of shelf units, lots of power sockets, lots of light, more tools. This time I am going to do a proper dust extraction system.

Then I have to rebuild the projects that I had to throw away; a bigger test tank with under water video capability, GoPro video, new design duplicator machine V3, capable of upto 12" lures, spray booth, though I still doubt it will ever get used. I have started designing a new ergonomic computer/CAD table.

Once set up, there are projects that I want to get back to; exploring multi-section swim-baits, start exploring gliders (hence the 16'x4' test tank), safety lip duplicator router, many more that I cannot remember at the moment.

Now that the decision has been made, I am very excited about it all and can't wait to post pics of my brand new, clutter free cave, and a few more when it gets cluttered up a bit.

Dave

Sounds like a good wifey!!!... I managed to talk mine out of the back hallway if i find a new home for the laundry... Gives me room for a 6 1/2' x 2 1/2' work bench with 3 outlets and NO carpet underneath to ruin........ How deep do you make your test tanks?.... We have 8'x 5' polly containments at work, i could probably talk them out of one but theyre only 2' deep

18" is plenty deep enough. Even for testing deep swimmers, you just change the angle of the line - simples :)

You will still have to reinforce the sides, there is a lot of water trying to bust out of there. We can talk more detail when you get the container.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman