5 fish on

new to air brushing

I started with a super elcheapo from walmart and used testors enamel model paints with some success (atleast for a beginer) . As far as I could tell I got every bit of paint out when I cleaned it but it didn't take long before I couldn't get any thing to come out of it . Some time passed and my interest dwindled . I bought a new one not too long ago at a discount tool sale . The brand is cummins tools and for the money it seemed to be a well constructed brush . I painted up a couple baits with walmarts waterbase ctaft paints and liked the results. The same thing has happened to this brush . I can't get any paint to come out . I can get all the air I want but no paint . Since I have only used waterbased paints in this gun I don't think cleaning is the problem. I am really interested in making and painting my own baits but the agrivations are getting the best of me . I just remembered , the only way I can get any paint to come out is to get within an eighth of an inch to my baits and then it just bleeds all over the place . My compressor is just like my guns CHEAP but it seems to be consistent . I always get air and it seems to function the same when both guns worked as when they didn't . Iam wondering if I just need to let go of some cash for better equipment or get some painting lessons. Please help I think I am going mad

The problem could be the gasket in your jar. If it is worn out or real dry and stiff, replace it. Also make sure the small hole in the top of the jar is clear and not full of paint. For the cup or the jar make sure that you have a good fit into the gun. Like Coley, learn to tear your gun down and really clean the sucker out. Try a pipe cleaner, but make sure that you brush it down between your fingers before you insert it in the gun. You don't want lint to get stuck in the gun.

Skeeter

The problem could be the gasket in your jar. If it is worn out or real dry and stiff' date=' replace it. Also make sure the small hole in the top of the jar is clear and not full of paint. For the cup or the jar make sure that you have a good fit into the gun. Like Coley, learn to tear your gun down and really clean the sucker out. Try a pipe cleaner, but make sure that you brush it down between your fingers before you insert it in the gun. You don't want lint to get stuck in the gun.

Skeeter[/quote']

Hey People,

I'm an old "Can Shaker" but have been deliberating on picking up an airbrush. I only do small projects, for myself, and don't see the advantage of having to take 1/2 hour to do maintainance in order to paint 3 lures. My question is, if after a quick cleaning,, would blowing a jar or 2 of plain water through the brush chase out any residual paint? I love what you all do withg the brushes but I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

TIA... Mike P

Two other issues that could happen to lead you to your problem are:

1. Your needle & tip. If you get even the slightest ding in your tip or your needle this will cause air to come out and NO PAINT! Be very careful on your tips when you clean them. Be careful with your needles as well! Any mishandling at all will cause paint flow problems. Change them often. Your needle can have a SLIGHT bend in it without you even noticing, this could be a problem.

2. Your Paint cup could be clogged going into the air brush. Or the connection from the Airbrushh to the cup could be clogged. Even the slightest buildup could cause you problems with paint flow. I bought the Airbrush cleaning kit from Bear Air and it also helped solve my problems.

www.BearAir.com

Basicly its a few different sized brushes that get into the nooks and crannies of your airbrush to clean it. I surmise without seeing your brush that from the get go, it sounds as a cleaning problem though. Even when you think you cleaned the brush good, you really havent and even the slightest buildup will cake up and create a blockage to keep your paint from properly flowing. Get the cleaning brushes. Granted they are steep in price, a little over $20.00... but well worth the money!

And as far as Im concerned a "CHEAPO" is nothing to take for granted. Utilize your tools and take care of them the best as you can, think about it, even a portable camera or a disposal camera has taken quite a few nice photos!

Cody

Createx sell an aitbrush restorer solution for about $6 cdn that will clean just about any water based paint from your air brushes, just soak the whole thing (if metal) for a couple of hours and then blow it out with the compressor, it cleaned 4 nozzles from my aztec in about 10 mins

Look at it like this: If someone backed into your automobile and put a small $200.00 ding in it' date=' would you want the repair done with a proffessional spray gun or would you rather have the guy run to walmart and buy a can of spray paint? Same difference in painting baits.

Tally[/quote']

Tally I disagree on this. A car you are matching and blending the same paint and color. It sits out side in the weather hot sun cold. I know several people that paint with a rattle can just as good if not better then people with an airbrush. I am one that can paint my baits with both and have found the advantages and disadvantages of both and none are with the quality of paint I spray. (Husky) You have to find what you like using. Some things I will not use a can and some I would not use an airbrush. You are the one behind the paint it is your choice. If you look at my bait in the picture it is painted with .40-cent paint from Wal-Mart not no $50 car paint.

(5 fish on)

When you clean your airbrush you also have 2 clean your jar cap. Push the button on your airbrush and blow in where the paint goes. If air comes out easy it is in your paint jar cap. Try and blow through your cap and look at the small hole in the cover of the jar.

-Corey

new_259.jpg

new_259.jpg

new_259.jpg

new_259.jpg

new_259.jpg

new_259.jpg

new_259.jpg

new_259.jpg

807_thumb.attach

Tally :censored:

Yea it is a (zero) dollar for you. I am sure if I go to a store I know that it is not going to come up (ZERO) on the register at the auto store for me or any one else. I found a quart on Ebay going for $70. I can buy a lot more paint then one quart for $70. I suppose it would be ok if you were using one color. If you have ten colors that is $700 or $4 if you use the paint that I use.

My Point Is I cannot see the deference form a costly setup and expensive paint like PPG or the cheep wal-mart paint when starting out. By the way several people use the wal-mart paint for lures. If you had read, that was what I was getting at. Just like you hear every year of kids with snoopy poles landing some enormous fish. You don?t need a $300 pole to get the job done!!! Also I have not see a car with a ?? clear coat. The same goes for people leaving fishing lures outside. If you do it will end up in someone?s tackle box just not yours.

Tally :twisted: I will summarize for you. If you have a lot of money to throw away, go ahead and go all out. But if you did you would not be making lures trying to save money. Instead you would pay someone to do it for you. There are cheaper alternatives out there that will work great if not the best. There are people using paper with ink from a printer as paint and gluing it on. Everyone is saying that it holds up just like paint. All and all once you get that coat of etex or devcon over it, it is going to look and last just as long as if you paid $100 per oz. on paint. :!: :!: :twisted:

-Corey :wink:

Also Tally the snoopy pole, I was just making a point. I am not telling you to go and buy snoopy poles and go fish for salmon, musky, or big catfish. I don?t wont you replying on this. :rolleyes:

It is my opinion that both have their place in our

hobby/business. I use both. I always use a spray

can for sealing all baits, except balsa. I always use

a spray can for priming my baits with either Krylon

or Kilz. I use the cheapest paint money can buy.

Apple Barn, Decoart, Folk Art and the list continues.

It's not the cost of paint, it's the blending of the colors

that make a bait look great. But, remember a bait

will not look good if it is not finished under the paint.

Proper shape and sanding have the most to do with it.

Clearcoat makes all paint shine and cost under the

clearcoat really, dosen't matter. I think paint is a matter

of personal perference. Personally, I like to paint my

baits with ink.

Coley

It's not the cost of paint' date=' it's the blending of the colors

that make a bait look great. But, remember a bait

will not look good if it is not finished under the paint.

Proper shape and sanding have the most to do with it.

Clearcoat makes all paint shine and cost under the

clearcoat really, dosen't matter. I think paint is a matter

of personal perference. Personally, I like to paint my

baits with ink.

Coley[/quote']

Coley

You are dead on! When I use stencils I will use a can of flat paint. You only have 1 min and it is dry and you can go on. No clean up of the airbrush for the next paint. Most every thing I do by hand is done with the airbrush. The clear and primer is the key on keeping your paint on.

-Corey

Look at it like this: If someone backed into your automobile and put a small $200.00 ding in it' date=' would you want the repair done with a proffessional spray gun or would you rather have the guy run to walmart and buy a can of spray paint? Same difference in painting baits.

Tally[/quote']

Tally :rolleyes:

Ha haa that is why you told everyone to take there banged up cars to a pro. So you can get some more of that free paint. So you are telling us we pay for your free paint, in higher INS cost.

And yes that was my point all along if the paint works for you good. But you need to clean your equipment or it will not last.

-Corey

:wink:

Tally

Every time you open your mouth you dig yourself a deeper hole. That was exactly what I said, why you should take a car to the auto body shop. When you jumped all over me saying that you have to paint lures the same way. You said and I Quote

Tally[/quote'] I love that last line ?Same difference in painting baits?. So you are telling me that just because I or should I say we (because I am not the only one that uses Ink and can?s) we cant have the quality or the professionalism of you because we don?t use PPG or the same equipment and materials as an auto body shop. I don?t think so

Tally: I am with you on this is a great web site and yes I am learning a great deal as well. But when you try and tell every one you should not do some thing that works. For a lot of people are doing and doing it great. That is just not cool.

I am not trying to bash or get into a battle with you. Unlike you, I have read your post and yes you are knowledgeable with as well as others. You know something I don?t care if you don?t think I am knowledgeable. With only 27 posts you can?t judge on that. You just don?t know me.

-Corey