fishnart

Two Questions Pls

OK, I use Devcon Two to finish my baits and I thin it with alcohol (I used to use lacquer thinner to thin it).

Can anyone tell me why some of my baits turn a pinkish color over time. There was a post on here a while back stressing the proper mixing and someone said to add the alcohol after it's mixed so now I do this and mix really well. But could this be from not mixing it or something?

Next, I have a big shallow crankbait, a Bagleys Monster Shad if you're familiar with that. It has a pretty wide wobble and I'm thinking of altering it so that it doesn't. Does anyone know if I can shave the lip down, make it a little thinner, if it will change the action? Or are baits perfectly balanced and if I do it it will mess the action up 

I wasn't familiar with the monster shad, so I had to check out some pictures.  You should be able to narrow the bill down to tighten up the action.  Shortening it could help as well.  I'd probably start with shaving the sides.  Just go slow and test as you go.  A sharpie line around the perimeter will help you gauge how much material you've removed.  Rubbing alcohol should remove any of the mark left behind after you're finished.  As you tighten up the action, the bait will probably also dive a bit deeper.  I'm not sure if that is an issue or not.

Sonoman, I thought of that also but I can't remember if I was using the lacquer thinner on those baits or not but that's very possible

Hawgfan, thanks for you help. I didn't think of the diving deeper angle....hummm, not sure now lol. Don't really want it to go deeper.

Thanks guys for your help, anyone else have any ideas about the pinkish baits feel free to pass them on.

Sonoman, I thought of that also but I can't remember if I was using the lacquer thinner on those baits or not but that's very possible

Hawgfan, thanks for you help. I didn't think of the diving deeper angle....hummm, not sure now lol. Don't really want it to go deeper.

Thanks guys for your help, anyone else have any ideas about the pinkish baits feel free to pass them on.

I wouldn't imagine you'd gain a lot of extra depth, but a foot or so wouldn't surprise me.  Taking a little off the end should balance that out.  Again, just take baby steps and test after every change.  Hopefully you have access to a place that's fairly deep and clear.  A swimming pool might even be best.

Reducing the width of the lip will increase the speed of the wobble. This will in turn, reduce the width of the wobble, giving the lure a tighter action, exactly as Hawgfan stated.

It is actually an easy calculation to predict the speed increase for a specific lip width reduction, using the Strouhal formula. If you want to know more, let me know and I will write an article on the subject.

Looking at the image on the bagleybait website, I don't see the bait swimming any deeper. If anything, I would say shallower. The fact that the swim angle reduces will reduce the power or forces at the lip. This will also reduce the width of the action and make it even tighter. For this reason, Hawgfan's advice is very important; Go Slow.

Dave