pk_in_ak

Oversized Jig Tying Vise

13 posts in this topic

I am looking to figure a good way of tying oversized jigs. Basically I'm looking for a fly tying vise that could handle the weight of tying up jigs up to 16oz so it would have to be really stout. Any ideas? Something homemade that I could try?

I use my bench vise.  It is not the most convenient but gets the job done, but I only tie up to 1 oz.

Thanks, that is what I'm doing as well. I figured I'd throw it out there to see if 1. anyone is doing something better and 2. if any of those engineer types could think of a way to construct something like a fly tying vise but on a larger scale.

The hooks are 10/0 and 12/0 respectively. They are used in conjunction with spire point style jigs in the 9 to 12oz range which means they have a huge (inch diameter) collar. A regular fly vise cannot handle the thickness of this size hook and I'm sure couldn't deal with the weight real effectively either.

You could try building something out of a couple of pieces of steel flat bar. It could be hinged at one end to form a V section with a bolt for tightening the two pieces of flat bar toward the end that holds the jig. If the smooth "jaw" didn't hold the jig firmly the inside of flat bar at the end holding the jig could be scored with a hacksaw in a diamond pattern or perhaps a piece of stiff rubber could be glued on the ends instead. An appropriate stand could also be incorporated as well to make it free standing.

Ben

I use the Traditional head Regal vise and regularly tie 5/0 hooks using Kevlar and wire thread.

They have a table mounted Big Game vise head that they say ties up to 5/0 so it may go up to your 10/0 to 12/0 hooks.

http://regalvise.com/accessories.html

The Regal is slotted to hold all hooks tight without disturbing hook strength. You can raise or lower the head so that most hook bends will fit correctly so you can do your work as it feels best for you. I can tighten my Traditional head enough so a 5/0 won't pop out manually wound.  Th Regal is handy and easy to flip over and look at the other side.

If you tie enough, it may be worthwhile to call Regal.

Good luck.

Thanks fellas for the ideas, I'll look at both of them. Either tying up more jigs or building my own vise will give me plenty to do during the long winter that only Fairbanks can have!

Cheers,

PK

or perhaps a piece of stiff rubber could be glued on the ends instead

You can also try coating the ends in liquid electricians tape. I use a c-clamp bench vise because I couldnt find a vise locally to hold larger hooks and well, because I'm cheap. Had trouble w slippage but the liquid saved the day. Just a thought.

1 person likes this

My buddy welded a vicegrip onto a piece of metal at an angle like a regular tying vice and clamps it to his bench. Wont let me post pic of it but if you google "vice grip fly tying" theres a few

1 person likes this

guy on jigcraft.com posted a video on making a vise - make the metal pieces bigger and it should work for what you're looking for.

I believe you are you talking about the detail hand vise...Sweet vise.

(Pic didn't come up with link)