pk_in_ak

Oversized Jig Tying Vise

The hooks are 10/0 and 12/0 respectively. They are used in conjunction with spire point style jigs in the 9 to 12oz range which means they have a huge (inch diameter) collar. A regular fly vise cannot handle the thickness of this size hook and I'm sure couldn't deal with the weight real effectively either.

You could try building something out of a couple of pieces of steel flat bar. It could be hinged at one end to form a V section with a bolt for tightening the two pieces of flat bar toward the end that holds the jig. If the smooth "jaw" didn't hold the jig firmly the inside of flat bar at the end holding the jig could be scored with a hacksaw in a diamond pattern or perhaps a piece of stiff rubber could be glued on the ends instead. An appropriate stand could also be incorporated as well to make it free standing.

Ben

I use the Traditional head Regal vise and regularly tie 5/0 hooks using Kevlar and wire thread.

They have a table mounted Big Game vise head that they say ties up to 5/0 so it may go up to your 10/0 to 12/0 hooks.

http://regalvise.com/accessories.html

The Regal is slotted to hold all hooks tight without disturbing hook strength. You can raise or lower the head so that most hook bends will fit correctly so you can do your work as it feels best for you. I can tighten my Traditional head enough so a 5/0 won't pop out manually wound.  Th Regal is handy and easy to flip over and look at the other side.

If you tie enough, it may be worthwhile to call Regal.

Good luck.

or perhaps a piece of stiff rubber could be glued on the ends instead

You can also try coating the ends in liquid electricians tape. I use a c-clamp bench vise because I couldnt find a vise locally to hold larger hooks and well, because I'm cheap. Had trouble w slippage but the liquid saved the day. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I have two vice  of Dyna King barracuda and the Griffon patriot .The Griffon patriot  is very high price and going to most of my Ties. I went into my store MTN locale Gander about 8yrs ago.It was the last one they had and I wanted it to go.picked for $ 180. One guy told me that I could not buy through Sindaco for that price. The King of the Dynasty is awesome But Griffon is simply easier to use.

• Like 1

Similar to what was mentioned by a couple people already I use a pair of vice grips in my bench vice, you can't rotate the jig so you'll have to learn to spread your bucktail or other tying materials around the collar without rotating the jig.  Leave the locking lever out of the bench vice jaws so you can switch out jig heads and a bit of duct tape in the vice grip jaws will provide some cushion between the jaws to hook and add a bit of grip.  Cheap and easy.