Mr_Scrogg

First Tie

IMG_20141016_191355138.jpg

IMG_20141016_191343505.jpg

Went fairly well. Top is PB&J "Living Image", middle is Black and Blue, bottom is "Grasshopper" that my friend showed me.

I need smaller wire. 20gauge is just a tad big to work with. I'm understanding accent/tab placement a bit better now. The Grasshopper, I need to space out the orange and chartreuse accents better

The Thompson F held great. I can see how a newer one that swivels is beneficial. But, I love the mojo the old Thompson has.

Friend said he was given a load of fly tying stuff from a 60 year old neighbor when her Dad passed. No doubt its loaded with good vibes and fish mojo!

Edited by Mr_Scrogg

Those look like great finesse jigs, you did very well for the first go!!! Yes, 20 gauge is a bit big, I use 24 and 26, both are great wire sizes to use. I recommend 24 until you get a feel for it as 26 will break on you if you over tighten it but when you learn where that is, 26 will hold really well with less force. Great job!!!

On distribution of the skirt. I band all of my skirts  with a rubber collar first. Slide skirt and rubber collar onto jig. Distribute the skirt strands evenly. Wire tie, and then roll skirt band off and re-use next time.

I do the same, but use O rings instead of rubber collars.  Not quite as easy to spread the skirts perfectly, but totally reusable.

I tie ole school with black nylon thread. A couple of wraps around the rubber and you can still take your fingers and reposition the rubber to even it out. Pull tight add additional wraps and seal with Sally Hansen finger nail polish, never comes loose.  Musky Glenn

I've been doing the exact deal for 20 years

• Like 1

On distribution of the skirt. I band all of my skirts  with a rubber collar first. Slide skirt and rubber collar onto jig. Distribute the skirt strands evenly. Wire tie, and then roll skirt band off and re-use next time.

I do it the same way except I tie off with 210 denier thread and I leave the BOSS band I use as a collar on. It's just added insurance, if one of the "collars" fails, there's another to hold it together. I use a tiny dot of ZAP A GAP after whip finishing to hold everything in place. Head Cement and certain  types of nail polishes, glues etc will leave a white crust on the silicone if you accidentally get some on it. 

• Like 1