FishinFreaks

Hanging Vs Rotating

Just getting into this. I've done about a dozen musky baits. Finish coat results are decent, but I'm not satisfied. Been using CS Lure & Jig Finish. I'll be getting D2T tomorrow for my next batch. Here's my question: With my 10" jakes (about all I'm doing for lures at this point), a drying wheel would be pretty big. So far I've just been hanging my lures by the nose eye. Will hanging be okay with the D2T? Or do I need to create a drying wheel to get a good result?

Unless you want to turn the lures by hand until the epoxy sets up enough that it will no longer try to migrate to the lowest point then a drying wheel is necessary. There are quite a few people that dip and hang lures, but none that I know of do it with epoxies. As far as I know the only ones that dip and hang baits are using MCU's or any of several concrete sealers.

Ben

A drying wheel doesn't have to be big or tall.  Build one that holds the baits horizontally like you would grill hot dogs on a rotisserie .  It doesn't matter in which orientation baits are held while they are rotated.  I rotated a few D2T baits by hand before I built a wheel.  It was a pain in the neck to switch one lure up/down every couple of minutes for 45-60 minutes.  Took no time at all to convince me that was not something I was gonna do again.

its super cheap to make a drying wheel with a rotisserie motor. I have to rebuild mine into a sturdier form but that is my fault. It is really nice to be able to just put a bait on the drying wheel and be able to leave it and really not have to worry about blemishes showing up. 

FishinFreaks, I have been using Bob Smith's epoxy for a couple of years now and it works just like d2t. I started using it because of the problem of finding d2t and the cost of d2t. I buy the 9oz. size which I believe is two 4.5 ounce bottles of epoxy mix. Cost is like $11-12 bucks plus shipping. For the amount of lures I finish that last me quite a while. I have all the parts to build a turner but the older I get the less I need an extra project. I am satisfied with the results of hanging because 1- I only finish for my self, 2- They look good enough, 3- Muskies don't care and that is where my concern ends. Musky Glenn

rayburn guy- if you or anyone ever needs a motor let me know- I do a lot of appliance repair on the side and I always have several of those motors - wont cost anybody a thing

mike  <::><

Hey Mike, 

I just got into airbrushing and have had problems with devcon and hanging.  If you have a motor I would love to have one.  Please PM me if you can help.

-Nate