kmer7777

Alternative To Propianate?

First, I've read somewhere that certain plastic cups can be dissolved in acetone to yield the same properties as Propianate in a seal coat application. OK, but does anyone know which cups? Or do I just have to experiment?

Second, is there anything else that can be substituted? Like say expanded poly styrene (white Styrofoam)? That would be great cause I'm always throwing that away.

My reason for asking is that I have not found anyone in my travels who even knows what Propianate is... nevermind stock it. I suppose I can order Pp online, but don't want a large quantity yet. Shipping direct from Us to Canada is possibly a logistics issue, not to mention costly.

If you really want an easier way to seal a bait just dip it in clear lacquer or shoot a couple of coats through your airbrush and forget it. It is what Bagley did for decades.  There was a guy on this site many years ago named Swede that turned us on to propionate. Supposidly propionate is what Rapala used. You can also just wipe on a couple of coats of Polyurethane. I have done that for over 14 years. You will get the same result with a lot less hassle. Of course this is for bass baits. If you fish for critters that can register 100 lbs on a bite block I can't help you. :nuhuh:

Skeeter

Guys on TU have reported very scattered results dissolving plastics in solvents for undercoating.  Unless you're willing to experiment and live with the results until you find the right combo, I'd just use another product.  I don't build musky baits but if I did, I'd consider undercoating with either Solarez UV cured polyester or epoxy.  Either yields a very tough undercoat.  I don't much care for the low gloss of Solarez as a topcoat but it works great as an undercoating, it's fast to use, and fairly inexpensive compared to many alternatives. 

• Like 1

If you're going to experiment with cups and forks, learn your recycle codes.  Polystyrene is the only material that you'll be able to easily dissolve.  In clear cups, it's not nearly as common PET, but it is out there.  From what I understand, the polystyrene used in forks can be too brittle, and will crack.  CD cases are another common use for polystyrene, but again, I'd be cautious about it splitting.  I use the prop that's available in several quantities on eBay.  It has it's advantages and disadvantages like everything else.  I like it for my bass baits, but other products have their selling points as well.