Ichthus

Sealing W/ Minwax

hey guys! so i should be finishing one of my first wood lures and i'm going to be sealing it (ive made wood lures before but i had never sealed the wood because i just didnt get the concept at first) with all the minwax I use for topcoating purposes, I figure I might try to seal the wood with minwax because of its ease of use. if anybody has experience with this process, please post here. I will be posting my results here as well.

There is a thread here somewhere just about using "MinWax" as a top coat.  As Nathan mentioned about the water based version there are also several solvent based poly versions.  I tried both and the water based will not stand prolonged submersion and the solvent based poly i tried yellowed  a lot over time.  Test on a piece of scrap and expose to sunlight and moisture.  Test on a lure that has some white on it to make it easy to see any discoloration that may occur.

MinWax-Test.jpg 

This is two lures top coated with "MinWax" and one with another, sorry not sure about the brand.  Coating applied over the same paint job, white base and dark back. They were top coated about 6 months ago.

Hate to see you ruin some good lures. 

Jim P

MinWax-Test.jpg

MinWax-Test.jpg

MinWax-Test.jpg

MinWax-Test.jpg

MinWax-Test.jpg

MinWax-Test.jpg

MinWax-Test.jpg

post-45779-0-13601200-1414726236_thumb.jpg

Minwax makes a wood hardener that is used for restoration purposes. It is as thin as water and penatrates well. It take a good overnite drying session and is messy and toxic. Best used as a dip rather than a brush on. Not sure what it is made of.

I've also used the wood hardener.  

It is made of something nasty, for sure.

The longer you soak your bait, the deeper it penetrates.  That should be a good thing, but it also pulls the solvent carrier deep into the lure, and takes longer to off gas, so you can paint it.

I found that, if I soaked a bait for a minute that was plenty.  Any more, and it would bubble out of the end grain when I heat set my paint, because it had penetrated so deeply.  

I found the test for being ready for paint was to hit the dipped lure with a hair dryer, and look for bubbling, before I began to paint.  If it bubbled, it hung to dry another day, and then was retested.

That was with poplar.  Other woods might react differently, but that was my experience.

Thanks! I'll try Etex. And I'll end up finishing with solarez maybe. I want to give the stuff a try. Will a normal black light work or do i need a nail dryer?

I don't know anything about black lights.  I bought a UV fingernail light box, because those UV lights are specifically designed for the proper UV range.

This is the one I bought, I think.  It's been a while, and my memory......

http://www.amazon.com/Salon-Edge-Acrylic-Shellac-CURING/dp/B009062W9W/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1414763336&sr=8-15&keywords=uv+lamp+36+watt