OsageJoe

Scale Material Knicks Paint

I'm having a problem with my mesh scale material nicking/scratching the paint underneath it. Is this just part of using it? Or is it my material? I think I just got it from hobby lobby or something. It makes me not want to use the scaling at all.

The last time it happened the baits had been sitting for a few hours at least - so I believe the paint was dry.

Edited by OsageJoe

You should be using some type of cloth or nylon netting for your scales. Metal screen types of netting will without a doubt scratch your paint. Also, if you wrap the netting around the bait, spray it, and then let it dry before you remove the netting then the paint will dry to the netting. When the netting is removed it can take pieces of the scaling off. If you just lay the netting on there, spray it, then carefully remove it then you should be good. Get yourself a ring that women use for needle point and put your netting in that. Lay it up against the bait and shoot. Then you can remove it straight off of the bait right away. Hope this helps.

Skeeter

I don't think it is necessarily the mesh. In my experience all scale cloth has it's own "learning curve", and needs to be broken in.

On small cranks I also have had nylon mesh scratch my paint, if I wrap it around a bait and hold it on the bottom with clothes pins, so I can paint both sides and the top.  

This happens when the mesh is brand new.  I found that using it once or twice seems to soften it's edges, and the scratching isn't a problem.  Maybe it's a combination of the paint that now coats them, and the heat setting with a hair dryer, which seems to make the mesh more flexible.

Thin, heat set coats of paint also help keep the netting from sticking and pulling off the scale paint, but I do remove it very slowly and carefully.

Thanks for the responses guys...

I've never understood the application for Createx gloss coat/top coat? Can I spray these, heat set the gloss, and then continue to spray different colors over them? Also Can I use it to just add a protective layer and then use the scaling over it?

Another ? Can I use the gloss and then use my regular finish for the final step (Either dipping in MCU or brushing D2T?

Thanks for the responses guys...

I've never understood the application for Createx gloss coat/top coat? Can I spray these, heat set the gloss, and then continue to spray different colors over them? Also Can I use it to just add a protective layer and then use the scaling over it?

Another ? Can I use the gloss and then use my regular finish for the final step (Either dipping in MCU or brushing D2T?

Yes to all the above.

Ben

If the scale material feels stiff and scratchy when it's new you can submerge it for a few seconds in boiling water. This will not only soften the material it will also take out any kinks where the material has been folded. I've also noticed there is a difference in the softness between different colors of the same material. Not sure why this is unless it has something to do with the way the material is treated to make the different colors.

I bought my scale material at Hobby Lobby and for whatever reason the powder blue material is the softest I've found. You can use it straight from the store without having to soften it. The soft material will also conform to the compound curves of a bait much easier than a stiffer material.

Ben

• Like 1

try this.....a lot of guys try to stretch the material to tight to get it to form to the bait......that is the wrong thing to do.....as when you try to remove it..... it simply smears or scratches the paint.....also try soaking the material in some sort of solvent to soften it up.....I shoot laq. paint so I clean my netting often and very rarely scratch a lure......

• Like 1