bluedragon2k9

What Expoxy For Attaching Lexan Lips

Another step I take on the diving lip is to score the face of it with a knife. This gives the glue somthing to bite onto. I have had them slip out on me. Be carefull where you score it, make sure that your cuts will be hidden by the lure body. I often cut a dovetail slot in the base of the lip that helps ancor it in as well. In some cases I have even glued a small pin through the lip and into the wood. But yes, get the 5 minute for this, it's a pain to hold the lip in place for 30 minutes while it sets.

I add my bills before I paint.

I like how the 30 minute epoxy gives me enough time to align everything before it sets.

5 minute epoxy, at least the one by Devcon, says it is only water resistant on the package.

I cut my lip slots with a bandsaw while the blank is still rectangular, so the bill material is a semi-tight fit, leaving enough room for the epoxy, and I have a square face to seat the bill against.  I also drill a couple of shallow holes on each side of the bill with a drill press, so I'm just adding dimples for the epoxy to grab.

If I'm adding a bill with the line tie in it, I use D2T, which is waterproof.  It's a pain to have to wait for it to set, but I use denatured alcohol to spread any squeeze out over the rest of the lure, and that acts as a sealer, too.

For square bills, I use gap filling super glue in the slot itself.  My line tie screw eyes pass through the bill, so I drill a hole for them after the bill is installed, run the screw eye in and back out again, and coat the screw eye with the same glue before I run it back in.

If your top coat passes up onto the bill a little, 5 minute will work for a crank, but you have to watch for water infiltration.