MaddoxBay

First handmade baits...

These baits are my first attempts at making hand made baits.

They are both made from balsa. I made the dbait replica (bait4.jpg) first and was astonished how well it turned out and how it runs in the water.

The second bait is a design of my own.

Both baits run straight and both have a action of there own.

bait2.jpg

bait1.jpg

bait4.jpg

bait2.jpg

bait1.jpg

bait4.jpg

bait2.jpg

bait1.jpg

bait4.jpg

bait2.jpg

bait1.jpg

bait4.jpg

bait2.jpg

bait1.jpg

bait4.jpg

bait2.jpg

bait1.jpg

bait4.jpg

bait2.jpg

bait1.jpg

bait4.jpg

bait2.jpg

bait1.jpg

bait4.jpg

790_thumb.attach

791_thumb.attach

792_thumb.attach

Thanks for the complements guys, I have worked with wood but I have never made a bait until now.

I am very happy with the results. There is still a lot that I have to learn though. I am working on a few more baits right now and trying a few things different.

I was afraid that I added too much weight to the second bait (1/4 oz). It still floats but I am going to try a little less weight on the next one. It has a tighter wiggle than the flat side. The flat side has a good wobble and a small amount of side to side roll. Another thing I still need to work with is lip placement and making deeper diving baits. These two baits are running about 3? with 15 lbs mono. I would like to make some that go to at least 6 ? 8?.

Coley, Skeeter,

The flat side was my first bait and the potbelly was the second.

There is still plenty of room for improvement? so I will probably want to talk to you guys.

Thanks,

Bobby

Thanks again,

I truly hope I can improve the baits even more. I still have a few ideas for finishes that I would like to try. I also plan to try different woods soon so I am sure I will be asking more questions. I would like to try cypress and see how it works in the water. I would also like to make a glider.

I knew what I wanted and I made the dbait first since there was a pattern for it. I will give credit to the site for my success. I spent several hours searching and reading about balsa and even talked to a few members before I started.

I owe credit to all of you for the success.

The best part is that they do catch fish. I used them in a tournament last weekend and they done there job. The feeling you get when you catch a fish on one of your on creations is indescribable.