bluedragon2k9

Band Saw Or Scrol Lsaw

I guess it would depend on the size and shape of the lure. The band saw tends to give straighter cuts since the blade limits the side to side movement of your wood or PVC a little better, but the trade off is, you can't make a tight radius turn as easily on a band saw.  The downside to the scroll saw is just the opposite, you can make all the tight turns you want, but it's harder to cut a steady straight line with such a small blade, especially if you've not used one very much.

Band saws are typically more expensive than a scroll saw, so that's something to consider as well.

I prefer the scroll saw, personally, just because I've got hundreds of hours experience using it.  I typically cut just outside the line a little and then sand up to the line, which gets rid of any of the waviness you might encounter.

Some guys cut their lip slot using a band saw, which would probably be much easier than using a scroll saw.  I use a table saw to cut my lip slots, so I can't speak too much about the ease of doing that using a band saw vs scroll saw.

I use a scroll saw 'cause that's what I had.  Which to choose also depends on the wood types you're planning to use for baits.  If you only ever cut balsa, either type saw will work fine.  But for harder woods like poplar, pine, etc, cutting a 1" thick bait out with a scroll saw is a lesson in patience you will not want to experience.  On balance, a band saw gets the nod by most builders.

Yeah, those exact straight cut Wiss metal snips.  It cuts 1/16" Lexan and circuit board very easily.  Cut to a mm outside the lip line, then touch it up with a Dremel tool and a fine sanding cylinder.  I also use the Dremel with a felt polishing cylinder to clean up the lip edges after shaping, and to cut a couple of slots in the back of the lip to help hold the lip in when epoxied into the bait.

• Like 1

Band saw hands down in my book and really not even a comparison in my book, especially if willing to spend a little more money on a saw and accessories.  It also opens up other avenues in regard to woodworking if interested.   A band saw excels in comparison to the scroll saw in about every aspect.   You can resaw stock for use, easily cut profile (doesn't have to be exact as sanding cleans it up) or get a Carter Saw Blade stabilizer and you can cut darn near any profile you want.    

I cut most of my lips with the metal snips or stack them and cut a dozen or more at once on the band saw.

http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-products/band-saw-stabilizer/stabilizer-demo-videos

Last video for example imagine that a block of basswood and you have several crank patterns laid out on that block.  After you cut the profiles then flip the block and start cutting 1/2, 3/4 slices you end up with how many blanks in how much time. 

Edited by Travis

Just my take on this subject. The band saw is never going to be finish work. Give the skip tooth style blade a try some time. Less teeth, a little rougher cut, but man they cut. I am not suggesting this web site, never used it, just showing an example of a skip tooth blade. Musky Glenn

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/316-4-tpi-skiptooth-bandsaw-blades.aspx

Get a scroll saw. Buy the blades at Lowes that are used to cut PVC pipe. They are thin and you can really turn a radius with it. I have cut bodies, lips, and everything else with mine for 14 yrs. Plus you can pick it up and move it to where ever you want with no troubles. It also takes up very little space in the shop and is easy to vacuum off and clean up. Teardown is a breeze and parts are much cheaper.

Skeeter