gatightlines

Just received my first gallon of Calhoun!!!

I just received my first gallon of Calhoun plastic from DelW. (Very fast shipping) My question is can I use it as is? That is do I need to order and softener or hardener? I am looking to pour Zoom worm like qualities. I plan on breaking the gallon down in size after a good mixing of course into easier to use containers. I just wanted to do any additions to the plastic before I broke it down. I think that I read that Calhoun was perfect as is but, I just thought that I would ask.

I would suggest adding a little less than a 1/4 cup softener for nice worms, depending on what your making the textures will vary and eventually you will fing your preferences. Make sure you shak your galon for a minute or so beore you use it or else the plastic will be way to soft and sticky. Also the galon containers are not hard to work with in my experence I have found that I split my 5gal's in to 1gal containers and that works fine.

Tm

Zoom makes a pretty tough bait. I don't think you'd need any softener if you want to match Zoom's texture. Try a couple ounces of the plastic "as is" (well stirred) before you make your decision. If you add softener and your baits are too soft, then you need to add hardener. Before you know it, you've wasted half the gallon. That can be a headache.

Chris

I think I will try it as is since I can't wait to try this new plastic. My last plastic was a quart from LC. I learned from that quart the importance of shaking and stirring it well before use. I forgot to do that on one pour session so when I got to the end of the bottle my baits were coming out real hard. I am sure that it was because I got the ratio of the ingredients of the plastic messed up from not mixing before pouring.

BTW, I am going for the texture of the trick or finesse worm from zoom.

Also the galon containers are not hard to work with in my experence I have found that I split my 5gal's in to 1gal containers and that works fine.

I would agree if the gallon was in the anti-freeze type gallon container but mine is in a gallon bucket. I think that I would have a mess trying to pour into the small pour pans that I have unless you know a trick to it. :huh:

You will want to purchase a drill mounted paint stirrer and stir the gallon well. I had about a 1/4 inch of catalyst at the bottom, discovered after pouring 3 quarts into their containers. Still liquid, but separated. I had shaken the gallon for about 5 minutes real well beforehand.

Also, Del's website has some FAQs on Calhouns. It says that Calhouns already has heat stabilizer mixed in. I didn't know that until after I used some the first time. Gonna try it with out adding HS this next time.

I would agree if the gallon was in the anti-freeze type gallon container but mine is in a gallon bucket

Believe it or not there is a reason we actually ship in one gal buckets.

its due to mixing.

I dont like the Gal buckets as much as the next guy, but the problem is if we shipped them out in the antifreeze type bottles they wouldnt get mixed as well. they would get shaken more which cause's air bubbles and doesnt mix as good.

Delw

Since you're only using a gallon container, I'd use the following for that brush hog type consistency....

• 8oz Calhoun Plastic
    2-3 tsp. softener
    1 oz salt (theirs is pretty coarse like regular iodized table salt)
    1 tsp glitter.

Works for my creature baits, hope it helps.