Greg

Modification To Do-It Football Jig Mold

I'm considering purchasing a Do-It football jig mold.  It is designed for a screw-lock plastic keeper.  As designed, it does not produce a shank along the hook wire.

I would like to modify this mold to eliminate the screw-lock keeper and replace it with a shank and shank style keeper.

Is this a difficult modification to achieve?  How is it accomplished?

Thanks

I think I understand your question. Where the screwlock is you want a shank coming out instead of the screwlock. The simple solution is to pour the football jig mold without the base hole pin. When you pour it like this, the cavity that is made for the base hole pin will fill with lead. Now if you want your shank a certain length. just cut a pice of teflon pin or base hole pin and put it in the mold to where you want it and pour away the lead will stop at the pin location you set. Finally if you want some ribs on your shaft keeper, then you will have to carve out some voids in your mold to achieve this. This is not overly complicated and fairly easy to do. The only thing that I see that would be a problem, is that if you want your shaft at a different angle than the base hole pin angle.

PS: In rereading your thread, I am confused about this "it does not produce a shank along the hook wire". Do you want a collar on the hook shank or are you looking for a shank where the keeper is supposed to be as I described above? Please post what mold model number you are referring to, so we can help you.

Edited by cadman

Hi Cadman and Others,

I apologize for the lack of clarity in my first post.

The mold in question is a Do-It mold, number 3453.  I produces a football jig without a collar, but with a screw lock holder.  It also takes a 60 degree flat eye hook.

I want to eliminate the screw lock holder and replace it with a collar style plastics holder.

Do-It offers other football jig molds that offer the collar and associated collar style plastics holder; however, they don't appear to take the 60 degree flat eye hook.

Thanks

• Like 1