fisheye56

Rtv Problem

I purchased some rtv at a local hobby store mixed according to instructions and poured over master molds! After cure time and removing. My baits come out dull? Never had this problem before with rtv? A chemical reaction must be happening? Any ideas what to do? Any coatings or acetone cleaning? Am at a loss and 15.00 down the drain? Help please?

My masters were the shapes I had poured from the original single . They were plastic so shiny they were. I think I may have discovered the reason. The product, they offer different hardnesses in their line of RTV's . Still if I can find a product I could coat the walls I could save the mold?

I have been playing around with many different silicones. What type did you get? I have had issues with platnum based silicones. Get the tined based stuff. It is much more forgiving. What I have been doing with my master copies is to spray them with automotive primer followed up with automotive paint. The smoother the outter surface of your copies will make a huge difference on how the molds will turn out. Once you pour into the glossy molds cavaties your baits will come out with a very nice sheen. As for your mold and having your baits come out dull. Try spraying the mold with silicone spray prior to pouring your baits. The silicone spray will leave a nice slick of oil on the inside of the mold and your finished pours will come out with a nicer sheen. I hope this helps.

Pancho