TheSilverFox

Just Thinking...

I agree with Ben it all has to come together.  Action plays a part and color plays a part but my experience has shown that detail has not played a part.  An all white bait catches just as many fish as a white bait with scales, fins, gill plates, etc.  We spent a whole fishing season testing this theory and we found no need to pay for more detail.  That being said I still like detail in a bait so I think the only thing that maters is confidence.

Will definately not paint these 2, I'll just etex them.

Hard to dispute what you've said Ben, But on lunar minors and majors for example, I have experienced the opposite with multiple fish days by switching to different colour and styles of cranks after the first fish.  The common denominator was the depth presentation.

By no means am I suggesting how to fish and this is hard to do when the fish are on but if one doesn't experiment by switching lures during the peaks, he'll convince himself that it's the lure colour / pattern that's hot and not the fish's mood.

Personally, this is why I'm convinced lure action / presentation is more critical than colour.

I have a friend who could probably relate your rattletrap story to his Strawberry Sledge.

Don't get me wrong Seeking, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to fish either. I think people should experiment by trying different lures and presentations and make up their own minds.

And when talking about changing lures you can believe that I did more than my share. When fishing cranks I may fish anywhere from 20 to 40 different baits in a days time. And like you were talking about I even changed baits when I was catching them just to see if they'd bite something else better.

I know you fish a lot for muskies and I can't really argue the point as I've never even seen a musky. My observations have been totally with black bass and have no idea if there is any similarity between the two.

And there are a lot of other determining factors that aren't being discussed. Time of year, water clarity, temperature, weather conditions, type of forage and availability, etc. that have to be taken into account. There are just so many variables that go into consistently being able to catch fish it can almost be overwhelming. Everyone has a great day every so often, but being able to catch your targeted prey on a consistent basis is what makes some folks just plain good at catching fish.

And like I said before, there are more than enough lakes for folks of both camps to fish.

good fishing and tight lines,

Ben

I think color is important as far as visibility and contrast, especially in off colored and murky water.  

If the fish see the bait better, they can be triggered.  

Of course, in clear water, they can be turned off, and that's where transparent color schemes, that only give a hint of a shape to a bait as it move through the water, shine.  The action gets their attention, they can't see it as clearly to get turned off, so they eat it before it gets away.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!  Hahaha

Edited by mark poulson

If you lost your job right now and someone told you that you HAD to make you living and pay all of your bills by fishing bass tournaments....... would color matter to you?

Skeeter

No, as 99.9% of us do not have the skills no matter the bait to compete at this level and would be homeless in short order if dependent on tournament winnings.

Colors can make a difference and in the hands of the right person is another variable that can increase their catch rates. However to believe that pros are making a living because they are using Renoir, Picasso, paint schemes is far from the truth.  It would be the last thing I would be worried about dialing in.  Paint is the first thing the average angler worries about as it is the only variable they can control (they don't understand fish movement, boat placement, lure presentation, etc....) so color is the thing they do have control over.

Paint is the first thing the average angler worries about as it is the only variable they can control (they don't understand fish movement, boat placement, lure presentation, etc....) so color is the thing they do have control over.

X2.  It is easier for us to think color is preventing us from catching fish and change colors than it is to think about our presentation.

Edited by goolies

Years ago a when I jig fished with a friend of mine (now passed away) we would each use a different color same weight but different retrieve when one would start to catch fish the other one would change to that jig. The one would keep catching fish even when we changed from front to back same side same jig. Sometimes he cought them and sometimes I would, so in my thoughts I belive all of it matters color, presentation and yes the sent of my hands, I don't think we will ever figure it out until we can actully talk to them someday maybe, the fish that is.

In reference to the OP....I used to compete in turkey calling contests across the Deep South. It's much different calling for judges and actually trying to entice an old wary gobbler. The competition calling has to be sweet, seductive and with near-perfect rhythm. A live hen turkey couldn't carry a tune in a bucket and, frankly, that gobbler couldn't care less. It's kinda the same way painting fishing lures for selling. My skills wouldn't have to be honed that much if I were selling my lures to a bass. But, with fishermen, they have to be pretty and something that they think will catch a fish. Until this changes I will continue to do my lures the same as I've been doing them. :?

Edited by saltshaker
  • Like 1

If his patterns are anymore than basic patterns then I'm missing something on his website or you guys are not comparing them to the cranks I'm talking about in my original post... nothing against him at all, it's just my opinion of what I've seen. Some of the guys will make you think it's a photo image with paint and some are photo image and paint. His nor mine compare in realism with those. I have no doubt that his lures are fish catchers but they look no different to me than some of the other painters I've seen, including mine. I'm not saying this to try and bring him down or anyone else but give someone new a gun and some stencils and they could duplicate what we do with a little practice and instruction. If I hurt someone's feelings or pride, I'm sorry.

Fox, I'm not firing on you, either. I was merely comparing Hughesy's work to mine...if I didn't do imaging. That's why I said I'd love to do "basic". His patterns might be "basic" in that they're bluegill, shad, etc...as everyone else. But, so are mine. His ability, on the other hand, is much more than "basic", IMO...compared to mine. I use imaging to make up for my lack of artistic ability and creativity. While what I do is in no way easy....it is easier for me. And, people love 'em...as they do Hughesy's.

I do find, however, that my work is not often welcomed by other painters. Can't help that. Nothing personal.

:)

I haven't seen your work.... didn't even know you did image stuff so I can't comment on it. I will say that most of the image stuff I've seen is really nice. If you want to throw a shad color or bluegill color its for sure you can get it right with the image baits I've seen. Painted baits just can't match them... and on a jerkbait I'd say they would be hard to beat.

The stuff on my website is pretty basic stuff. What you don't see is the hundreds of lures people have sent us over the past 30 years to copy paint schemes on to other lures. This can be very hard to do depending on the details involed. And we somehow pull it off. The other part you don't see is the designing paint schemes for Bass Pro Shops, Storm, and Pradco. They want more than the basic paint job. Here's some examples: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Z9R-Perch-Swimbaits/product/10210240/

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Lazer-Eye-Hardbaits-Static-Shad/product/45149/

http://www.basspro.com/Strike-King-KVD-Rattling-Square-Bill-Crankbaits/product/10209674/

http://www.basspro.com/STORM-Original-Wiggle-Wart/product/58651/ On the warts only the red craw, moss back, creek craw, orange brown craw, phantom green blue, phantom pb&j, phantom brown orange craw, and the peanut butter and jelly craw are mine.

I think you have the idea I'm trying to blast someone and that's not the case. As I said his baits look good but they are standard colors like many of us do.

I don't take pictures of most of it since it's usually a repaint for someone. Most of these guys would get ticked off if you showed "their baits" to anyone. I posted one on here when I had some bubble trouble that I thought may be a brush issue. I have a bait I painted for a guy to resemble the hot steel bait I'll post hanging. I painted the originals for myself and he saw it so I don't feel bad sharing rapalas color... and it's not perfect by any means but similar.

D786AB07-8825-4D9B-8FF8-A22F83558BAA_zps

Found another perch/fire tiger cross that I painted. These pics are in my paint room after they come off the wheel and taken with my phone so quality isn't always top notch. I'll see if I have any others that I did with my camera. Painted eyes... didn't have anything bigger than a 6mm but I painted it for myself so...

36A95A47-FB0E-4DF3-8A06-2A8C4487B02E_zps

Edited by TheSilverFox