TheSilverFox

Just Thinking...

A lot of folks say that fancy paint jobs only catch fishermen. All I have to say is I hope so. Otherwise, none of us would ever sell a bait. So the next time anyone says that they don't get caught by baits..... tellem to  look in their tackle box. There was something about every bait that I have bought that caught me. From a crankbait down to a worm. As a baitmaker you have to appeal to the fishermen as well as the fish. It is all part of the game. So my question is to you guys is..... how well do you play it?

Crankbaitmaker

A lot of folks say that fancy paint jobs only catch fishermen. All I have to say is I hope so. Otherwise, none of us would ever sell a bait. So the next time anyone says that they don't get caught by baits..... tellem to  look in their tackle box. There was something about every bait that I have bought that caught me. From a crankbait down to a worm. As a baitmaker you have to appeal to the fishermen as well as the fish. It is all part of the game. So my question is to you guys is..... how well do you play it?

Crankbaitmaker

Very well said.

For me, I've found that the same paint scheme doesn't catch fish on all my lures.  Perch patterns whether yellow belly or orange or white for example seem to catch more fish on my lipped baits than on my gliders.  So if someone's interested in one of my gliders, I'm honest by telling them, perch has never produced on that specific lure.  And the opposite holds true for my lipped baits.

CustomBaits4You,

Yes, I remember that lure. The morning of the day it ended the price was at $30. After lunch it was over $50 and I thought..."NUTS"!! I stopped selling on Ebay because they seem to care more for the buyers than the sellers. I had a couple non-paying bidders that I reported and they did nothing to 'em. Plus...the fees are outrageous.

:)

Edited by saltshaker

Lol I don't know why im even commenting on what's turned into a pissing match....

I feel that color is important but in a lesser degree than other key factors. Some days it can be a deciding factor no doubt. But I have caught fish on sealed wood baits that are un painted and resin baits straight from the mold. In fact I have not painted my prototype baits for the last few years. I fish em naked and they are usually my go to baits even when I have painted the predecessor baits that have come after the first prototype. My buddies all make fun of me for not painting them and at first accused me of being lazy....Most now ask for unpainted versions!!!

Hughesy I just wanted to say.........you da man!!!

• Like 1

Lol I don't know why im even commenting on what's turned into a pissing match....

I feel that color is important but in a lesser degree than other key factors. Some days it can be a deciding factor no doubt. But I have caught fish on sealed wood baits that are un painted and resin baits straight from the mold. In fact I have not painted my prototype baits for the last few years. I fish em naked and they are usually my go to baits even when I have painted the predecessor baits that have come after the first prototype. My buddies all make fun of me for not painting them and at first accused me of being lazy....Most now ask for unpainted versions!!!

Hughesy I just wanted to say.........you da man!!!

Naked!!!! Oh no.... lol

"Lol I don't know why im even commenting on what's turned into a pissing match...."

Probably because you have an opinion and you just have to spit it out like the rest of us.

"But I have caught fish on sealed wood baits that are un painted and resin baits straight from the mold."

Maybe they were just the right color. :?

No one has been rude. No one has been nasty. It's all just food for thought brother. And in my opinion....... that is what forums are all about.

Skeeter

It goes back to what I originally posted....selling, post your plain natural baits on any auction site and see how they do compared to any of the fellas doing the image/paint thing and I believe it will become very clear rather quickly why they do it...The evolution of the industry is heading that direction, soon every pkg in walmart will have that type of look IMO...so at the end of the day we are still left with the niche market that will still be there of a hand built , hand tuned and tweaked bait that so many of the better anglers are actually looking for and precisely why so many are on sites like this looking for lil tidbits to make their baits even that much better...is it in the paint job?...not in my opinion but damn if ya wanna sell some...best do it...lol

"Lol I don't know why im even commenting on what's turned into a pissing match...."

Probably because you have an opinion and you just have to spit it out like the rest of us.

"But I have caught fish on sealed wood baits that are un painted and resin baits straight from the mold."

Maybe they were just the right color. :?

No one has been rude. No one has been nasty. It's all just food for thought brother. And in my opinion....... that is what forums are all about.

Skeeter

Ya Skeets you know what they say...opinions are like :censored: ....uhh nevermind!

In all honesty I agree with you. Friendly banter is good and that is what this place is about. There were some comments early that I didn't agree with and this thread to me kinda took a side track. that's all I was referring to.

Carry on! :sauced:

Ya Skeets you know what they say...opinions are like :censored: ....uhh nevermind!

In all honesty I agree with you. Friendly banter is good and that is what this place is about. There were some comments early that I didn't agree with and this thread to me kinda took a side track. that's all I was referring to.

Carry on! :sauced:

If your fish are eating naked lures they must be preverted!

I've caught fish on unpainted, white PVC lures, while I was testing them.  They were white, so that is probably why.

Of course, I'd love to think it was because of a genius design and build, and a great action and retrieve, but that is probably not it.

If I were building to sell, I'd worry a heck of a lot more about my paint jobs, because appearance and detail are so important to fishermen.  I don't think the fish care nearly as much.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

I agree totally with what Sonoman said...and his reasoning is precisely why I do it the way I do. If I truly considered myself an "artist"....I still don't think I'd be able to compete with imagery. In fact, I know I wouldn't...I've tried. :)

I would think that most buyers would be able to tell the difference between a "custom painted" lure and one that involves some type of imagery. I've had painters and accomplished fishermen alike ask me if mine are "custom painted". To me, I must be doing something right if they have to ask.

• Like 1

There were some comments early that I didn't agree with and this thread to me kinda took a side track. that's all I was referring to.

You are right Matt. There are times when we loose sight of the actual question and it happened here. Good catch.

Skeeter

I'm still reading. If your comment is directed at me and my comments about his basic paints then undoubtedly you're missing what I'm talking about. I'm not gonna sugar coat my opinion of a paint job. I never said they were bad... just basic stuff we all do. I never commented about his history of working on baits for companies. I have no opinion of that. I am speaking directly about our basic paint jobs vs these highly detailed stenciled and foiled image baits. There is no comparison in my opinion. No offense to hughley or anyone else on here... just my thoughts. I don't expect all to agree with me.

I just started painting my own crankbaits, and everything is going pretty well.  I do have one question: my paint room is set up in my basement.  The room is quite large, but has windows that do not open.  I was told by a friend that as long as I have a fan circulating the air around my work space I should be OK.  Would you agree?