TheSilverFox

Just Thinking...

Saltshaker is 100% right!

Solvent fumes from paints may not have a strong odor, but your eyes will absorb them if they're in the air, even with a respirator.

You need air exchange if you're using solvent-based paints, and a dust filter and exhaust fan pulling the paint overspray away from you if you're using water-based paints.

Can't remember where I saw them, but someone is building a small paint booth complete with filters and a small air mover built in that will fit on your workbench.You just set it up on the workbench and spray your lures in front of the box. Fans draw air and paint mist/fumes into the filters. I can't say how effective it is as I haven't tried one. Maybe someone will chime in with more details about the portable desktop paint booth.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

tekflip, I guess that would depend on what is floating around in that air. Createx? Maybe. An automotive urethane....NOT ME!!

:)

It's just Createx.  I wear a surgical mask when I'm painting, and have two large fans circulating the air around the table.  I should be good to go.

Thanks for the advice, fellas.

Edited by tekflip1

Getting back to the original question....My humble opinion is that the large lure companies paint baits that catch fishermen. I'm not saying these baits don't work; oh indeed they do but to me a bass feeding by reaction or impulse; do not really get a good look at what they're eating. I'm not a great painter nor have the skill to either so I really look up to the great painters on this site. I have to rely on the "essence" of the bait pattern. If I can capture that, then that works for me.

Jerry

• Like 2

I recall a write up on KVD a few years back , he was fishing a tournament , there were a few other guys fishing near him. I'm almost sure he was throwing a crankbait , don't recall the color , but he was slaying fish. He stopped fishing and gave the same bait / size to maybe 1 or 2 guys , he continued to catch fish , the other guys could not catch a fish with the bait. In the write up it stated that KVD would go through 1 to 2 dozen of the same color crankbaits and only select a few of the baits , I'm sure he was matching the hatch color wise , but looking for that select few that would hunt in a slightly different way ? I'd put money on it that KVD didn't hand the guys any of his special baits.

As Ben stated about color on some days , The baits hunting action could play a major part as in the above story.

Just My 2 Cents ............... Mike

Edited by MikePaintsBaits
  • Like 1

I agree with what you said MPB. I think most times it's a reaction strike and not based on the color pattern so much. A prime example for me is the Rapala Twitching Raps. I have several to this day that are pure mangled and I will not repaint them because I'm afraid it will change the slight difference that makes them so much better than the others. Some of them have a shimmy on the fall when paused and some don't. The shimmy gets em every time but the color can be one of many.. to bad we don't have the option to hand pick our lures from a batch like the pro guys do....

• Like 1