JBlaze

Making 3D Scales

Soon as I can find the time. I am not off from work until the 20th.So, I might try to run down to the lake one afternoon and swim it from a boat ramp/dock. I made a video of it flashing in the sun as I moved  and twisted it but I can't get it to load on photo bucket. It has that bright,  piercing flash of light like a shad minnow does as it swims and turns on its side. I am giving up on getting the video to load, and going to bed. 3 am will be here to soon

John

Edited by JBlaze

John, 

When are you going to take it for a swim?

mark, finally got to take tis lure out for its initial swim. went to midlake section of Fort Loudon about 2 pm this afternoon fished for two hours I caught four largemouth on it and two small stripes. The bass were nothing to brag about, 14 to 15 inchers. Water temp was 49 to 51º and it was over cast with a slight breeze. It had a ver tight wiggle and I believe it was running around 6 to 8ft deep on 8lb test flourocarbon. Would have liked to have caught a big one but at least I know the bass were attracted to it.

Hope you and everyone else had a good Christmas and that all of you have a safe and Happy New Year.

John

• Like 1

mark, finally got to take tis lure out for its initial swim. went to midlake section of Fort Loudon about 2 pm this afternoon fished for two hours I caught four largemouth on it and two small stripes. The bass were nothing to brag about, 14 to 15 inchers. Water temp was 49 to 51º and it was over cast with a slight breeze. It had a ver tight wiggle and I believe it was running around 6 to 8ft deep on 8lb test flourocarbon. Would have liked to have caught a big one but at least I know the bass were attracted to it.

Hope you and everyone else had a good Christmas and that all of you have a safe and Happy New Year.

John

Congrats!!!  Nothing feels better than catching fish on a lure you created.

It must work, if you caught them in 50 degree water!  Out here in SoCal, when the water gets that cold, nothing bites, except the wind!

Thanks for the holiday wishes.  Here's to a better New Year for all!

Something I have been thinking about for a while, is making 3d scales.

My wife and I were out running thrift stores a few days ago and I ran across these two belts one is made with sequins and the other is made with little metal scalloped strips. I bought both with intentions of laying a piece of aluminum foil across them and rubbing it with a rag to see if I could create a 3d scale pattern.

A few stores later, I ran across this old credit card press/embosser. Not sure what it is called but I hoped that it would suit the purpose for which I intended to use it, which was making 3d scales. 

Hope some of you guys/gals might find this idea useful.

John

PS, just pulled the first one off the drying wheel, will post it in the gallery.

JBlaze 

Love the ideas! Scales look awesome and the finished baits are awesome too. Thanks for the ideas and the info. 

I have just started to build again. Haven't done much in that area yet. My problem is I get impatiant and I'm not that origianal with it so I see what guys like you come up with and try to do it.  I do more coping than anything. Just starting in again after the summer off and I have not carved much and now I have some work I have to get done on the house before my wife will let me hibernate in the garage again LOL. Maybe one of these day's I will come up with an original idea and can share it.

Edited by rhersh

As I have said before, just about everything made IMHO is a copy in one way or another of someone elses idea. But as you build, you will do or try to do those little tweaks which makes it different from others and gives it your own personal action or  signature look. I seriously doubt if we could make anything that is totally 100 percent different from anything else that has ever been made. So copy away, if you enjoy the hobby,  I guarantee you that the Ideas will come and you will soon be making it somewhat different. Body shape, bib size, shape or placement of bib, weight/weights size and placement of. The interesting thing is, that no matter what you change it affects just about everything about the bait. It is an interesting and very fulfilling hobby. I often  lay awake at night with the gears in my head turning trying to figure out how to make an idea come to life. sometimes, I am disappointed but then another idea will take its place and the process starts all over again. I am a lure junkie with not enough time on my hands. 

Welcome back.   John

Edited by JBlaze

Jhersh,

John's right.  You'll be hard pressed to come up with something that hasn't been done before, in one way or another.

Everything I know about lure making l learned here on TU.

And I learn more from my mistakes, which are also not originals.  Someone has already made them before me, and they are here to help when I stumble.  

Don't be afraid to ask here for help.

I think who made the first mistake is still open to debate.  

Some say it was Eve, for picking the apple.  

Others say it was Adam, for getting married in the first place.

You'll have to decide that one for yourself.

Jhersh,

John's right.  You'll be hard pressed to come up with something that hasn't been done before, in one way or another.

Everything I know about lure making l learned here on TU.

And I learn more from my mistakes, which are also not originals.  Someone has already made them before me, and they are here to help when I stumble.  

Don't be afraid to ask here for help.

I think who made the first mistake is still open to debate.  

Some say it was Eve, for picking the apple.  

Others say it was Adam, for getting married in the first place.

You'll have to decide that one for yourself.

x2, well said my friend. 

Hey J,

Lure looks good and catches fish THAT'S A GOOD THING

I have several rolls of self adhesive  industrial duty 3m foil that might help you out ...they don't need to be glued

One roll is too thick for me to roll scales with a screen and roller ...If you'd like to try it with your machine I'd be happy to send you some to try out

You can PM me if your interested

Hey Spec, that is really nice of you to offer this, but I am actually very happy with the Reynolds heavy  duty aluminum foil. I have to different rolls of HVAC duct foil that I am going to try to see how it does but, I don't think either one is as shiny as the Reynolds and I don't think that the scales will stand/press out as well because of the thickness of the glue backing. will let you know how they turn out if I ever find them. Again, thanks for the offer.  John

Congradulations John !!!

That will be late summer. Just in time for some fall fishing. :-)) I'm afraid I have a bit more time to serve before I can join you old dogs on the porch.  :P

But believe me; I am looking forward to swapping the shovel for a fishing rod. 

Well, I have missed hanging out with you guys............. hoping I'll have a bit more time to at least visit you guys on the porche a little more often soon..............

Vic

Congradulations John !!!

That will be late summer. Just in time for some fall fishing. :-)) I'm afraid I have a bit more time to serve before I can join you old dogs on the porch.  :P

But believe me; I am looking forward to swapping the shovel for a fishing rod. 

Well, I have missed hanging out with you guys............. hoping I'll have a bit more time to at least visit you guys on the porche a little more often soon..............

Vic

Looking forward to it. When the time comes that I have more time off than just that one day a week, maybe you and I can get together and snag a few of them ol' brown fish up on Cherokee.

John