Big Ray

Senko Plastisol Question

Hi everyone I have a question about a Senko recipe I have seen somewhere on this forum. It goes

1 cup plastisol

1/2 cup salt

1/4 cup softener

I am wondering what hardness is the plastisol in that recipe because I am using Lurecrafts #536 Maximum flexibility plastisol and I leave out the softener. Pretty much because I never bought any softener and because they are already softer then regular Senkos. So I am just wondering if that is a medium plastisol and if anyone has done it like me and just used a soft plastic with a 1/2 cup salt. 

Edited by Big Ray

Thanks Jig Man so that recipe does call for medium. I do use a coffee grinder to turn my salt into powder. I am sure I read that somewhere on this forum. And Bassinfool that is interesting I never heard of using bead blasting media to make Senkos sink. Actually I never heard of that stuff before now but I am interested. What are the benefits of using that over salt?

thats a solid formula to start with. it calls for medium plastic.

stiffness will vary on the type of salt you use. thicker salt will give you more flexability but will also weaken your baits, and sink to the bottom of your mold. powder fine salt is the way to go. you'll want to use softener or they will be too stiff. 

durability is the least of your concern with stick baits, if you want the most action. 

Ok Bassinfool I did like you said and searched this forum for some information. So far from what I have read is that the blasting media doesn't cloud the baits as much as salt and the durability and action is good. Also you can buy this stuff cheap from Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-80-grit-glass-bead-media-61875.html . I also noticed from the last question that I had about June bug color you said not to use salt. I am guessing this is what you use with that formula. And one more question how much do you add to a cup of plastic?

Edited by Big Ray

Just be forewarned that some people have experienced scratching of their injectors using the bead media.  I have not come across this happening yet and have shot a few hundred baits using the media.  I coat the inside of my injector with worm oil by applying it to the oring and pulling it back and forth through the injector several times between every couple of shots and that has seemed to help a lot in my case.

It hasn't happened to me yet, but even if it does I'm not concerned about it.  I can always buy a new injector when the time comes and for me it is worth it when I get the consistency and better looking baits using the media.  Ultimately, it will come down to whether or not the risk/reward trade off is worth it to you.

• Like 1

Another question on the blasting media...  Can you remelt baits with it?  I try to remelt almost everything I make provided it comes back to the boat - I keep the used stuff grouped by color so when I need to make something I can mix some old baits in with new plastisol and not worry about weird colors/etc.  I could do the same with these baits if it's possible to remelt. 

Thanks.

J.

Wow the forum is back! Ok Bassinfool I might give the blasting media a try one day and I really appreciate the suggestion it might be the best stuff I will ever use but first I am going to give salt a chance and see how it works out for me.

Edited by Big Ray

I'm not a plastic guy so if this sounds crazy just ignore and move along. Would it be possible to build an injector with a replaceable Teflon sleeve in it for use with the blasting media? That way there would be no wear and tear on the injector tube itself.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I'm not a plastic guy so if this sounds crazy just ignore and move along. Would it be possible to build an injector with a replaceable Teflon sleeve in it for use with the blasting media? That way there would be no wear and tear on the injector tube itself.

Ben

I'd think that would actually be fairly easy if you could find some thin walled teflon with an OD the same as the ID of your injector... then turn the injector piston down a bit to fit the ID of the teflon and you'd be off and running.

J.

I have also experienced scratching on the injector piston. I have several injectors so I also use only one of them for plastic with bead media. I have shot hundred of baits so far and even though the piston is scratched I haven't experienced and significant negative effects on its ability to shoot a bait. There will be a small amount of plastic build up inside the injector above the piston after a few hours of use but its no problem to open it up and clean it out once in a while.

Wow the forum is back! Ok Bassinfool I might give the blasting media a try one day and I really appreciate the suggestion it might be the best stuff I will ever use but first I am going to give salt a chance and see how it works out for me.

Ray,

I live in Westchester, in the Osage triangle, 5 minutes from LAX.

I have 50 lbs of the bead blast medium.  You're welcome to stop by and I'll give you some.  I'll never use 50 lbs.  Just bring your own container.

Really Mark that would be cool! I would really appreciate that I guess you can pm me your address and I can pick some up. I would like to try some because salt just clouds the plastic so much and it is giving me and friend so many headaches because we are just trying to get  a certain color but it just isn't happing with the salt. I have a feeling since the blasting media doesn't cloud the bait so much it might come out right.