Snoopy

Outside Temperature Spraying Your Crankbaits

I am  new to airbrushing. The question I have is.  Is there a certain temp that you should not spay your baits?  I live in Alabama where the temp will be 30 degree's today 60 tomorrow tornadoes the next day and then snow the next 3 days... Any help would be appreciated..  

Edited by Snoopy

I'm in the same boat, living in Northeast Ohio.  The painting is what keeps holding me up since I can only do it pretty much outdoors.  The Createx site had the following to say about painting conditions.  I have a feeling most other paints are similar.

CONDITIONS  70º F or higher in a dry, dust-free environment. When painting in humid or colder conditions, allow for extended drying time. Use of air flow decreases drying time and is recommended as the primary means to dry paint. Air source should be free of contaminates, especially oil and water. Heat is best used to cure paint after paint dries. Refer to curing section for more.

A small heater works wonders if you have an area in which to paint. I generally crank up the small heater in my shop. Granted, I live in California but it does get really cold where I live. Oh, one more thing, if you are using automotive paint or other flammable types a heater shouldn't on while painting. I know that sounds quite obvious but there are people out there that clean there guns while loaded and their guns are loaded too.

Thank you all !!! Right now im using Createx and Wicked Colors but I don't have a heater yet im just taking it slow and piecing things together...  I do have a small building im working in shared with things we don't want in the house :) But I do have a lot of time to let things cure so thank you all for the info..

Thank you all !!! Right now im using Createx and Wicked Colors but I don't have a heater yet im just taking it slow and piecing things together...  I do have a small building im working in shared with things we don't want in the house :) But I do have a lot of time to let things cure so thank you all for the info..

Or you could use a hair dryer to cure the paint between coats. 

You can spray water based airbrush paint at any temp as long as it doesn't freeze.  I use a hair dryer to dry mine between colors, regardless of the temperature.  I dry it on LOW initially until the water sheen is gone, then turn it on HIGH and blast it.

Now we're talking!  I've been reluctant to try painting in the cold, but it sounds like maybe it won't be as much of an issue as I thought.  It really puts a kink in the plans if you live in a cold state and hope to get the majority of your lure building done over the winter.  All of my paints and lures are stored in a heated area until time to paint, so that seems like it might help as well.

I also live in NE Ohio and do most of my lure building and painting during the winter.  I have a small electric heater on my workbench in the garage.  I store my createx and airbrush inside and bring it out into the garage when I'm going to use them.  Same with spray can primers.  I use a hair dryer and heat gun between coats to help with drying and curing.

You may find that a hair dryer is a little more forgiving for heat setting paints.  The heat gun can cure the paint too fast, causing it to bubble.  It also can cause plastic baits to crack.  I've experienced both issues.  I'm not saying you can't use it, but just take it slow.

I use a heat gun to cure my paints and have no problems. There is a little bit of a learning curve as with anything new, but the heat gun will get hot enough to actually heat set paint if you take it slow. It only took me 4 or 5 plastic baits blown up to look like bloated guppies before I learned to hold the heat gun a little farther away.

One thing you haven't mentioned is what top coat you plan on using. Top coats can be a little more fickle than water based paints when it comes to temperature. It would probably pay off to check out the specs of whatever top coat you plan on using and see what the lowest temperature they recommend for applying their product.

Ben

Not sure yet on the top coat I saw on you tube where a guy used varathane  polyurethane but im not sure what the specs are I haven't looked yet then there is the two part epoxy.. Im still painting the crankbaits still learning the brush , compressor  playing with stencils really still learning  but I want to make sure I do things correct I know I will mess up over and over but with what ive been reading on this forum will really help a lot.....         Thanks to you ALL !!!  Thank you for your knowledge !!       And I want to apologize ahead time but I will be asking a lot questions ..... 

If you use a top coat that relies on a chemical reaction, like epoxy, the cold will slow it down. I would take the baits inside to coat them with epoxy.  It has almost no odor, and it's solvent is denatured alcohol, so it's okay to turn and cure in the house, if your family and pets are okay with that.

Solvent-based urethanes still need a minimum temperature to fully cure out, so using them in the cold will be a problem, and their fumes are not okay for inside the house.

Even water-borne urethanes need a minimum temperature to fully cure.  

Try contacting the manufs. to see about how each top coat does in cold weather, and what their minimum temperature requirements are.

I just painted a couple lures in 32 degrees with a small heater, using a hair dryer and everything seems to have worked out fine.

Two thumbs up!!

Be sure to let the paint job dry/cure inside really well before you top coat.  Paint can feel dry, but still have some moisture left in it.  Nothing lifts and ruins a top coat faster than trapped moisture.

Edited by mark poulson

Move them inside, to a constant warm temperature, so they can really dry.  If you need to leave them in an unheated workshop, try leaving a focused light shining on them overnight, so they never really get cold.  Cold stops or slows down chemical reactions, like paint curing, and a cold lure will collect condensation, just like everything else left in the cold, so it never gets a chance to really dry.