fishnart

Painting Spoons

I have powder painted many spoons and it looks very nice and lasts. Devcon 2 Ton, works well on the face of the spoon. It will however pull away from any sharp edges. So if you are going to paint the spoon surface, you can dull the finish with steel wool, and then make sure the edges on the finished side are deburred as well. This will give you a consistent clear finish edge to edge.

You also can buy white etching primer, which will grip better to metal after you steel wool it. The etching primer is excellent and it being white makes for a good base for all colors.. It is a spray on. Once dry, you can put on your acrylic paint and then clearcoat. Note: Adding acrylic paint and Devcon 2 Ton will increase the weight of your spoon.

Have been fairly happy with tapping powder on a heated blank using a small brush & a coat of devcon (or 2). If the devcon starts giving way, I just touch it up before next use, & it seems ok. Overall it seems to hold up a little better than the factory finish (acme) that originally came on them. That said, Im sure theres better ways,

My coho & king creations:

IMG_20141005_170915_zpsfvneeszp.jpg

IMG_20140409_062607_zpsaww7kllw.jpg

Edited by plunc