Big Ray

Does Hard Plastisol Sink?

Hi guys I am kind of confused. I am wondering if hard plastisol sinks really slow.The reason I ask this question is because I want to make a Big Hammer swim bait mold out of plaster of paris and I was testing my Big Hammers in a aquarium full of water. I use this aquarium to test the sink rate of my stick baits vs real senkos. I noticed that the big hammers sank really slowly. From what I have read is most saltwater swim baits are made from hard plastisol. So I figured I need to get some of that if I want to start pouring swimbaits but do I need to add some salt to it. I just don't get it because there doesn't seem to be any in them. I know from using soft plastisol that if I don't add anything my worms will float.

Edited by Big Ray

I do all my fishing in saltwater. I really like swim baits. When I first started I tired two different saltwater plastics. One thing about going to a hard plastic is you lose a lot of action in the bait. Stink rate I have no idea. One thing you might try is a 50/50 plastic. LC has one and the one I use is MF464 .I'm should there are more. MF 464 makes a tough bait with still good action. Hope that helps.

Do you want the bait to sink or float?

Are you fishing salt or fresh water (salt water would make it float more)

Most swimbaits you use a weighted jighead or weighted hook so float or sink would not matter.

People use harder plastic for salt because mose fish have teeth and it is more durable.

I made some swims for a friend who fishes salt. I used a Senko formula with Do-it sinking additive. Made a soft nbait with good action that was durable

Hey thanks for answering my question guys. I don't want them to sink because like you said they are on a jig head anyway. I just wasn't sure if that is what made them sink. From what I understand there is no salt in them that is why I could not understand why they sank. My best guess from what you guys are saying is that there is no salt in them and I am just going to go ahead and make some like Slammingjack suggested. And Monte I have some HD additive from do it molds that I was going to use with my stick baits but now I might try some with my swimbaits.

I figured it out. I ordered some BaitJunkys soft plastic and hardener because I wanted to make my trout worms a little harder and I noticed that both my soft and medium worms both float but the harder plastic in the runner sinks. So that tells me if the worms are small like my trout worms harder plastic may still float but bigger worms that are medium and up will slowly sink. So now I know for sure that there is no salt in the plastic of my swimbaits.