Fishin' Steeler

Seeking info for my first lure project

After a few days of futzing around learning to control the airbrush... not there yet, either... cleaning them, that sort of stuff, I've decided I want to attempt something measureable as my first goal. So I decided I'd copy a beater Devil's Horse I have laying around here.

Before sanding the stick, I looked closely and tried to analyze each step the painter took.

Okay, first a thick white base coat;

then a black airbrushed strip down the dorsal side, might be stencilled;

then 6 diagonal black stripes down each side, definitely stencilled;

then a red blotch at the throat and tail end, looks like freehand airbrush;

then the eyes, probably decals;

then a clearcoat of some type.

What would I use for the base coat? Airbrushed or out of a spray can?

Is my order of painting procedure correct?

More questions to follow, I'm sure.

That is some thing you have to experiment with. Not all paint will bond with each other. I like to prime all my baits with a can. If you look at the lure in the picture I spray can primer next airbrush water paint yellow and pink and spray can candy red over pink and spray can black back and stenciled side. If you play with the paints you will find if it is going to work or not.

I tell you what, trying some new and off the wall stupid things can really pay off (thanks Rich). You wont know if it works if you don?t try. Just start with a white and you will get the best color out of your paint.

-Corey

new_128.jpg

new_128.jpg

new_128.jpg

new_128.jpg

new_128.jpg

new_128.jpg

new_128.jpg

new_128.jpg

808_thumb.attach

Fishin Steeler,

I use Krylon Primer/Sealer for my paint jobs. At first I tried using the airbrush but found it to be more trouble than using the can. However, if you are painting wood there are other steps you have to take first. Since I only do repainting, I am not the person to give advice on bare wood.

Hey Fishin Steeler, I have used the Frisket Film. If you arent going to CRANK out a bunch of lures with the same stencil your ok with the frisket film. It is very pliable and is very prone to rips and tears. If you need to make a stencil template for use over and over, I would use some sort of heavy plastic. The kind you can get at Office Supply stores for report covers. That has been the best for me. As far as the scales go and a cost effectivenss, I used an old bag of onions that had the scale pattern bag! Cody

Thanks for the great info, guys.

Right now, I'm experimenting with different stencil materials and brush technique. I've used Frisket, also cut-up milk jug plastic, and I'll sure try report cover material.

The last week has been extremely busy for me professionally, so I've let the lure hobby take a short breather. Looks like another one coming up, then I'll be able to play some more. :)

I use Minwax polyacrylic for a sealer. 2 coats. Then Zinser bulleyes for a basecoat ,water base. Let this dry over night. I like to thin it slightly to a 4 to 1 ratio. Then I prefer Createx paints. I use an Envirotex product for my final coats. But you need something to spin the baits with if you use this stuff. If you are only doing a few baits then I would recommend using 2 coats of Devcon.