dmaiden38

Help With Vein Color

I am currently tried every possible way to come up with a middle vein color on the top shelf smokin shad. The vein has a deep gold color that goes with chartreuse vein it appears to be either glitter or powder. Its a translucent vein. I tried gold highlite it changes the color to much. I tried smoke gold pearl with the chartreuse that didn't work out. I also have some fringe tackle table rock that has very similar gold color as well. I am needing help to match this or at least point me in the right direction.

The color isn't the issue it's the gold color that goes with it. The gold is not hi light because it's to bright, and chartreuse doesn't change colors like when you add hi lite.Hi lite makes it change to a light color I been racking my brain it looks like some kind of powder. The fringe baits has the same going on. I don't know what it could be I don't use the powder colors except hi light's

See I am up in the air because one bait is had poured the other is injection it's so hard not get air bubbles in a hand poured. There both identical in the gold they have. I know from experience that you add colorants to pearl like the white it will change the color we that one has chart vein with the gold pearl will it change the pearl

If I were trying to get that effect, I'd pour the belly, then a clear.  Over the top of the clear I'd add Dave's gold pearl powder by sprinkling it on with a salt shaker, and then I'd add the top color.  If you have the clear hot enough, the powder should sink in a little, and it will give the clear a yellowish tint, I think.  The clear would probably yellow for me on it's own!

P.S.  That bait looks like a lot of work to duplicate.  Good luck.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

A shot in the dark, but......

LC Minnow Silver (contains the micro glitter which gives you that powder effect)

Gold hi-lite

1 drop black (just to darken it a bit)

Minnow silver was always a lifesaver for me; just make sure you shake the heck out of it before using because the glitter will separate from the liquid. 

I made some molds a while back that used a long finish nail to make a central vein.  I dip the nail in whatever color I want, set it in the mold, and then inject around it.  Usually with two translucent laminate colors.  It makes the bait really pop.  If I want the bait without a vein I just shoot it normally and nip off the bit that flows into the nail slot.  

Another thing I did once for somebody who wanted a black/gold/pearl look was laminate with smoke gold for the back and white pearl for the belly.  It wasn't really three color, but at a glance it looked three color because where the smoke met the pearl it seemed like a few gold flakes always flowed over the pearl belly and stood out.  

The effect you're after can be gotten by doing a lighter more translucent color mixed with a colored pearl powder. Try to picture the top shelf and the fringe without any pearl additives in you mind - you'll immediately notice that the colors are very translucent. That's the first step to getting it right - use slightly less color and more pearl powder. That helps create that seamless blend because the hard lines of changing color are replaced by a pearl transition. 

The next step is finding the right blends of colors/pearls to create your effect. 

I've gotten that effect, more or less, by doing my second pour (open pour, top pour swimbait mold) while the first pour was a little too hot, so the two plastic colors melted into each other more at the joint.  It made for a very strong joint, and an interesting effect, but it was hard to duplicate.  As the saying goes, timing is everything.