TrophyFishR

Solarez Matte Finish

I actually waited until I found Solarez before I tried painted bills.  I did it once with urethane, and it peeled.

I've used it on them now, and, as long as you make sure the line tie and hook hanger holes are clear before you cure it, you're good to go.  I have been able to clean out hook hanger holes afterwards, with an exacto knife, and it's not that bad.  The line tie hole is harder to clean out, so try and be sure it's clear.  You have plenty of working time before you start curing it, so try and make sure the holes are clear.  I hold the lure by the rear hook hanger wire with a pair of hemostats to dip it, then swap to a paper clip hanger to let it hang and drip back into my jug.  I don't want the material to be too think on the painted bill.  I make sure the wire eyes are all clear before I cure it.  I grab the belly hanger with the hemostats and swap the line tie hanger out with the bent wire in my picture to suspend the lure in the light box.  By the time I've done the swapping out of wires, the line tie hole is usually clear, anyway.

Here's a pic of a wart with a painted bill and Solarez.  It has caught fish.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/13346-20140518-104501-resized/

Edited by mark poulson

Cougarftd,

Could you post a PlastiDip bait as well?

If yall already have them in the gallery, just point me in the right direction.

I used Liquid Tape by Performix, a spray-on insulation (thank you Nathan) to get a soft, tough coating on a trout S Waver.  I wanted to try and duplicate Butch Brown's soft feel without losing the underlying paint scheme.  It worked better than I thought possible.  One spray coat was tough, durable, soft, and I could still see through to the paint scheme below.

Here's two pics, with the trout bait between an original finish baby bass and a PVC bait I'm working on, so you can, hopefully, see how it looks:

20141210_071521_resized.jpg

20141210_071712_resized.jpg

post-14932-0-22998400-1418226850_thumb.jpg

post-14932-0-84297900-1418226861_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark poulson

I would guess the softer textured face would affect the action of the lure, but I'd be totally guessing.

I don't see how a softer finish on a bottom-grinding small bait like a wart would hold up, or be a benefit.

If you really want the softer texture, why not coat the entire wart first with Solarez, UV cure it, and then hold it by the lip in your gloved hand, using your thumb as a mask, and spray the body only?  That way you'll get the protection of the Solarez on the lip and the entire lure, and the softer texture of the stuff I use, Liquid Tape, on the body, which is what the fish will bite.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the texture on a small crank like a wart.  It's typically moving and bumping so quickly and erratically that the fish commits and eats it, without worrying about how it feels.  Otherwise, no crank would ever get bit.

I would guess the softer textured face would affect the action of the lure, but I'd be totally guessing.

I don't see how a softer finish on a bottom-grinding small bait like a wart would hold up, or be a benefit.

If you really want the softer texture, why not coat the entire wart first with Solarez, UV cure it, and then hold it by the lip in your gloved hand, using your thumb as a mask, and spray the body only?  That way you'll get the protection of the Solarez on the lip and the entire lure, and the softer texture of the stuff I use, Liquid Tape, on the body, which is what the fish will bite.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the texture on a small crank like a wart.  It's typically moving and bumping so quickly and erratically that the fish commits and eats it, without worrying about how it feels.  Otherwise, no crank would ever get bit.

essentially, I just need a matte finish

When I started using Solarez, whether I dipped or brushed on the Solarez, they would eventually end up on my turner. I setup a table outside and would take the turner there and let the turn for 15-20 minutes. They always came out with more of a matte type finish which wasn't desirable. I like a glossier look. I've since bought a UV nail light ($25 on Amazon) and followed a procedure previously posted on this sight.

1. Stir the Solarez real well

2. Apply the Solarez (I brush it on mostly these days)

3. Place on lure turner for a least 10 minutes to level out

4. Then three rounds of 1 minute on one minute off in the UV nail light box

This proceed results in fairly high gloss result.

You might just need to cure it in the sun to a get more of a matte finish.

Good luck!

I have been using Solarez with excellent results.  For a Gloss finish on the top coat, after curing, I use 1000 grit Wet or Dry and scuff the entire surface of the bait.   Then, wash it off to get the dust off.  If i want Matte, I stop there.   If I want gloss, I then take the sanded bait and apply a small amount of McGuire's #3 to a lambs wool buffing wheel in my drill press.  In less than a couple of minutes, I have an extremely high gloss finish that is very tough.  I have also found that i can get some great effects with it applied as a sealer on raw wood.  One trick is to wash the lure down with denatured alcohol  after a coat of Solarez.  The next coat of paint will give you a "micro-spotted" finish.  Not sure why, but it works.

Thanks for the buffing idea Old1ncal

I will give it a try, maybe it will help to speed up my production. I really like Solarez, but I can't sell lures to my customers that are matte, so I have been coating with Etex which takes 4ever to do four coats.

Are you brushing on the Solarez or dipping?

Mark

Maybe you can try regular alcohol 1 shot on the lure 1 shot for you repeat until finished LOL

Edited by Jdeee