dlaery

Air Brush Cleaning Pot

I use a tupperware with clean water, next to my paint station.  I bend a coat hanger as a holder that hangs from the edge, so I can sit the brush in it with the tip in the water if I stop painting for a moment, so I don't get a dry tip.

When I'm changing colors, or doing my final cleanup after a paint session, I lower my brush into the water to backflush for 10-15 seconds, and  backing off the nozzle and back flushing that, too.

Then I finish my cleanup procedure, removing the needle, wipe it cleaning, reinsert it, and shoot airbrush cleaner through the brush, before I put back up on the rack.

I work in my garage, so I don't mind a little mess when I'm flushing out the brush, if the water happens to splash out.  I keep the water level down a little, so only the brush tip is underwater when I set it in the side rack.

It took longer to type this out than it does to clean out my brush!  Hahaha

I was thinking  :?one of these things would cause some backlash into the tip to help clean the tip :unsure: but sounds like that's not the case.

I think what your referring to is called back flushing. This is easily done by holding your finger over the nozzle and then "spraying". This will force air back towards the bowl and create a turbulence in the brush that cleans it. I do this a couple times with water since I'm using water based paint. If your using solvent based paints then you would use whatever solvent is required. After (in my case) the water runs clear I then repeat the procedure with acetone. The acetone will knock loose anything the water didn't get. I then take the needle out and wipe it with an acetone soaked rag to remove anything the back flushing didn't get. The above description is for final cleanup. To clean the brush between colors changes I omit the acetone and needle removal and just back flush with water. However, for extended spraying sessions I might run a bowl of acetone through the brush if it acts like the nozzle isn't spraying right.

I'd also recommend getting some airbrush lube. A drop wiped on the needle will make the needle slide easier as well as keeping paint from getting gummed up on the needle. It's also good to put a drop of lube on the trigger piston every so often. This will keep the o-ring lubed and working freely. Don't make the mistake of using some type of oil in place of the lube. The lube is compatible with airbrush paints where the oil is not.

This seems like a lot of steps to go through, but once you've done it a few times it becomes almost mechanical and will only take a few seconds.

hope this helps,

Ben

• Like 1

Right now I just have the ol' single action Pashe. No needle, I just flush it out by squirting windex through and then in between painting sessions I just prop it up in the a windex/water mix and let it soak. I like the acetone for a final cleaning though. That's doesn't gum up or anything inside the brush? Don't use acetone very much, it's ok if it comes into contact with residual water inside the brush??

• Like 1

Right now I just have the ol' single action Pashe. No needle, I just flush it out by squirting windex through and then in between painting sessions I just prop it up in the a windex/water mix and let it soak. I like the acetone for a final cleaning though. That's doesn't gum up or anything inside the brush? Don't use acetone very much, it's ok if it comes into contact with residual water inside the brush??

There are a couple of things that I find truly great about acetone. One is that it flashes off really fast and the second is that the acetone will bind with the water and once it's flashed off you have a perfectly dry air brush.

A little experiment you can do might sell you on the acetone when cleaning up behind water based paints. After a long painting session do your regular cleanup with water. Clean the brush water until you think it's good and clean. Then fill the bowl with acetone and go through your regular cleaning again, but before you completely empty the bowl look into it and see if you don't find small paint particles left behind by the water cleanup. This is especially true of opaque white.

ben

I am lucky to have a big wash sink next to the place where I airbrush. Turn on the hot water and spray the brush and a quick back flush another spray and it's clean. I can even do an end wash out and leave it and most of the time it's good to go the next session. If not I take it apart and throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner and it's like new.

• Like 1

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner for that very same purpose Jdeee. My Homer Simpson moment was when I put airbrush restorer in the plastic cups where the parts to be cleaned go. It sounded good at the time.  :?  Ended up with a nozzle full of hard plastic gunk that defies cleaning. Now I stick a shot glass inside the plastic cups and put the cleaner and parts. That lesson only cost me about $30 for a new nozzle. :mad:  I haven't had to use the ultrasonic cleaner since then, but if I ever do there won't be any airbrush restorer going into the plastic cleaning cups. One thing about learning lessons the hard way is that you don't forget them.

Ben

I have a small spray bottle with a weak mix of windex that I spray into the paint cup a few times then dump out in a trash can. Then back flush then spray the cleaner mix and it's ready for next color. I seldom if ever use acetone but I probsbly should. I have a cleaning pot but only use it to hold the brush between colors.

I have a glass cleaning jar from Iwata. I use it all of the time. I shoot lacquers and use solvents, so it is just great for me. No paint escapes the jar and there is a filter on the lid. It all cleans up real easy with some lacquer thinner. It is also a great and safe place to set the gun when not in use.

Skeeter

I made one, I took an old plastic drinks bottle threw away the top, made a hole in the side of the bottle 2/3 rds way up  just big enough to fit the front of my airbrush into with a snug fit, then made a filter in the top from 2 sheets of paper kitchen towel held over the top with elastic bands.

This is a little off topic but I figure I should throw it out there.  I have been using an Infinity 2 in 1 for 4 years now and I have never used a chemical in my airbrush.  The only thing that has ever gone through my brush is water based paint and water.  I have also never back flushed this brush.  The whole thing comes apart and goes back together in seconds.  You have access to every part of the brush to clean.  I have never had dried paint in the brush and never will.  Also every part of this brush can be bought seperate.  I have used several other brushes before this one and the germans make a wonderful airbrush.  I am not trying to start a debate here just throwing it out there.  I have a lung condition so I stay away from chemicals as much as possible.

This is a little off topic but I figure I should throw it out there.  I have been using an Infinity 2 in 1 for 4 years now and I have never used a chemical in my airbrush.  The only thing that has ever gone through my brush is water based paint and water.  I have also never back flushed this brush.  The whole thing comes apart and goes back together in seconds.  You have access to every part of the brush to clean.  I have never had dried paint in the brush and never will.  Also every part of this brush can be bought seperate.  I have used several other brushes before this one and the germans make a wonderful airbrush.  I am not trying to start a debate here just throwing it out there.  I have a lung condition so I stay away from chemicals as much as possible.

Sooo....don't be such a tease!  Share a link to that brush, so we can all be pissed!

You can get the airbrush and every single individual piece for the brush here.  http://precisiongermanairbrush.com/infinity126543.html

There are some accessories for this brush that I can't go without when painting. 

1)  Micro cup (it is the only cup that I use.  All the other cups on airbrushes are too big for crank baits.  No wasted paint and easy clean up)

2)  Air Valve FPC (instant air control at the gun.  MUST HAVE)

3)  Splatter Cap (I can do any splatter paint job with absolute control over the amount of splatter and the size of splatter)

Edited by bass100

You can get the airbrush and every single individual piece for the brush here.  http://precisiongermanairbrush.com/infinity126543.html

There are some accessories for this brush that I can't go without when painting. 

1)  Micro cup (it is the only cup that I use.  All the other cups on airbrushes are too big for crank baits.  No wasted paint and easy clean up)

2)  Air Valve FPC (instant air control at the gun.  MUST HAVE)

3)  Splatter Cap (I can do any splatter paint job with absolute control over the amount of splatter and the size of splatter)

Sounds like you've got the perfect setup for what you do.  I'm guessing I've spent way more over the years on cheap brushes and parts than that setup cost, complete. 

I use a Paasche vl series. I know some of you guys are gonna flip when you read this but it works for me. I flush with water but I run the pressure up... 60 to 80 psi just where ever it hits when i spin the dial. I'll backflush it a couple times and this gets the majority out between colors. If I'm done for the night i do the same thing and then shoot a bowl of cleaner in and backflush it. Here is where some are gonna flip. I pull the needle from the front and lay it to the side. Then i pull out a pipe cleaner and runs it back and fourth in between my fingers getting and loose cotton off. Then i feed it from the back out the front. It gets the sludge or left over paint out in one swipe. Then iI'll wet a qtip and clean the inlet from the cup and the outlet on the cup. I pull some of the cotton off so it fits the pipe. This can be done in maybe 2 minutes. Then I'll wipe the needle down and put it all back together. Like I say, quick... lest than 3 minutes for everything. I've only had problem with cotton one time and my wife was talking to me so I might have skipped making sure there was no loose cotton on the pipe cleaner.