Ken 6645

Lathe Duplicator

Hi again

Does anyone know of someone on the net that makes and sells or gives away the plan for a home DIY lathe duplicator ...I though about the " Vega "duplicator but all the reviews were bad....i've seen several that look like they might work but no info on plans ...But some do work...

Thanks for your time

Ken 6645

'

You will probably have a hard time finding anyone that is willing to sell plans for a home made duplicator as most of them are inherently dangerous and the seller could be held responsible for any injuries. I haven't looked in the archives in quite a while, but at one time building duplicators was a hot topic at TU. You might try searching the archives for information.

Buying a commercial duplicator is cost prohibitive for most of us since they can run $20,000 or more. You'd have to sell a lot of lures to justify spending that kind of money.

good luck,

Ben

• Like 1

X2 what Rayburnguy says.

Duplicators are all basically the same form, so you don't need plans, it is all there in lots of videos. Study the vids until you understand how they work. With a little engineering nous and some imagination, do a rough design, make a plan and build one. It will likely not work very well, but it will teach you all you need to know for the Mk2.

Lathe duplicators are a whole lot simpler and do not require all the mechanics. Check out Stripersonline and do a search. There are threads on that site that cover simple duplicators. Stripers' is predominantly a lathe lure building site.

If you do decide to 'have a go', we are here for your questions and will help all we can. There are a select group of lure builders here that have the duplicator merit badge :)

DAve

All the reviews were bad? Really? Cuz Vega makes probably THE best duplicator for a lathe of any I've ever seen on the market. 

Show me something better and cheaper to maintain. I've used Vega duplicators to turn out more lures than you've probably seen in your life. And I sold each one for close to what I paid for them with spare parts included that I never used. 

Hi again
Does anyone know of someone on the net that makes and sells or gives away the plan for a home DIY lathe duplicator ...I though about the " Vega "duplicator but all the reviews were bad....i've seen several that look like they might work but no info on plans ...But some do work...
Thanks for your time
Ken 6645

'

• Like 1

Hi Salty's ...the page that I was on did in fact have 5 reviews and all of them were less than good...I was about to order one and the reviews pushed me away from it...I was looking at the Vega for a mini lathe

and am glad you replied.. I will consider one ...

Thank you for your time

Ken 6645

Not sure what you are after Ken but here's mine (this is Mk3), it's not a 'duplicator, these are usually called 'copy lathes'--If you have a spare 6 months and a lot of spare gears and motors around it's very doable. As Ben and Dave said, there is a huge thread on here somewhere and most are made to the same basic principles--search 'Copy Lathe'.

Still 'tweaking' this one but it's self feeding (8' sticks) so you can walk away for an hour and do something else, OR have a beer- Power is 12V so you can get bits anywhere AND not electrocute yourself- Cutting head is very quiet compared to angle grinder/ router cutting heads-  It will fit in the front seat of my van so I could take it anywhere, hook up to my car battery and carve away (I don't though :?) - depending on the size of the lures it cuts about 12-15 / hour and creates a lot of saw dust, but the 'dust buster' handles that. ----------Cost??? , probably about A$400 for about 6 bearings and a  240V to  0 - 24V transformer and some switches , a few CNC parts etc- I used a lot of gears shafts and bearings out of old (real old ) 12V cordless drills, some good quality bits and pieces in these.

Like I said this shows the basic setup and am still tweaking it, I added some timers / limit switches this week so it is even more 'Auto' and looks a bit different now.

Pete

Sorry for the blurry Pic, it's running in this one.

Copy Lathe 22.JPG

Copy Lathe 22.JPG

Copy Lathe 22.JPG

Copy Lathe 22.JPG

Copy Lathe 22.JPG

Copy Lathe 22.JPG

Copy Lathe 22.JPG

Copy Lathe 22.JPG

post-15507-0-34510300-1422095048_thumb.jpg

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1

First sorry for my bad English :-)

On Youtube are some vieos about copy carver, copy lathe,copy sorvi(Finnish are excellent)

Kopirka(former Yugoslavia Republic creators) some are good and some are fantastic.

m

I made 3-4 in pass few years.

Now I got nothing, since May Fload in my City(Doboj-Bosnia)

Make one very soon and I ill try to give some feedback about building as soon as I start to build.

Best regards from Bosnia