5 fish on

Thoughts on metal lips for crankbaits

While my airbrush is on the frits( thanks for the help but still no paint coming through the tip ,I use the open cup and seems to be clean as a whistle) I was thinking about what might be beneficial about having metal lips on crankbaits . A thinner lip would allow deeper depths and if you get the front edge razor sharp it might cut through vegetation . Does any body out there regularly use metal and if so what do you use . I was thinking on using aluminum . Another thought , what are the pros and cons of the scoops on alot of the rapala baits . Bandits ,normans , and most other companies do just fine with a plain jane flat bill . Does the dish give more or different action , steeper quicker diving , or does it just catch the eye of the consumer .

This is a good question, have often wondered the same thing myself. There is probably some benefit to the "scoop" on many baits altho it might be difficult to measure. The biggest advantage I see of the plastic bills is is that they are theoretically invisible. Therefore a predatory fish approaching your bait will see only the "bait" and not the bill. Still, there are some really cool baits that have been made over the years with metal bills.

jed

Hello,

I use aluminium lips on about 90% of my cankbaits. Only the

small crankbaits get plastic lips. I use 1,5 mm Alu sheet.

Don't sharp the Alu Edge!

The advantage of Alu is that you can bend it easily,

even after mounting, to correct the walk through the water.

The extra weight is no problem for most of the baits. If you

want even more extra weight (for divers) you can use brass.

Visibility: The fish really don't care at all....

Best regards,

Christoph