rhersh

Alumi-Uv

Seems like I remember someone saying a while ago that Alumilite was working on a UV cured coating. This must be it. At the time it was not available for sale as they were still testing it. Have you looked at their website to see if it's available yet? I'd like to know if there's any difference between this stuff and Solarez.

Ben

I just check out their web site. They are proud of the stuff and I realize that it is not cheap to develop things. They have a bottle .25 lb for $19.00 and a 2 lb. can that looks to be 1Qt. for $90.00. I guess I have to wait and see how it works for others and I get back to doing more painting before I can justify it for myself.  :pissed:  :censored:  LOL

It is very glossy, very clear, very forgiving of different UV lights, and yes, a bit pricey.  Nevertheless, it goes a long ways and is way tougher.

I post on another thread just started regarding this stuff, so I won't go into great detail, but I was one of their testers and I prefer this stuff to all other lure clear top coats.

It is very glossy, very clear, very forgiving of different UV lights, and yes, a bit pricey.  Nevertheless, it goes a long ways and is way tougher.

I post on another thread just started regarding this stuff, so I won't go into great detail, but I was one of their testers and I prefer this stuff to all other lure clear top coats.

I just found your other thread on this. I did do a search for this before I started this tread and found nothing on it. Sorry for making a double thread on the same subject.

The sample that Mike from Alumilite had me try for him was much tougher then Etex.  It was not as flexible, or dentable, but it had some flex to it.  Etex can be applied thick or thin so the depth depends on the thickness you want to give that depth look.  AlumiliteUV will do the same, but it might take more coats.  The difference is that Etex can take 12 to 18 hours between coats but the UV takes seconds to minutes, depending on your light source.  I repainted and coated a lure for a soldier that contacted me on the site and I used the AlumiliteUV that I had.  Even I was shocked at how glossy and deep the finish was on the lure I did for him, especially on the black and chartreuse colors.

I used the sample AlumiliteUV on Pike and Tiger Musky (cross between Pike and Musky) and the coat held up quite well.  Larry Dahlberg, on his show "Hunt for Big Fish" has shown the use of the Alumilite UV on many of his Muskie and Wolf Fish lures and has shown them to hold up extremely well.  I still use Etex for some applications, so I am not putting it down at all, but I do have a comparisons from experience.

Mike emailed me and told me that the stuff I used is not even close to the quality of the stuff he is now selling.  I look forward myself to trying the new stuff as soon as it gets to me in the mail.  :popcorn:

I cannot promise anything, but I will put a bug into Mikes ear and see if a pint size can be in the future. 

Personally, I would also like to see some UV proof "dip tubes" so we can dip longer lures without the need for huge size cans.

Please let me know what you would like and I will ask him.  You guys can also call him on the contact number shown on the same link already given.

Anglinarcher

After the New Year I will order some and see for myself. One of the draw backs for me is that it takes too long to cure Etex and in the more humid summer it is worse since I do this in my basement and use a hot box to help it cure. The room that I was going use to make a new box can be made into a UV box instead and quickly be ready for the hooks. One more question is it still a epoxy coating.

Thanks

Wayne

Reven,

The official chemical composition is called an "organic polymer compound".  Aliphatic Acrylate Polymer is the actual chemical, but the specific nature of the chemical is of course a secret, and I don't have a top secret clearance.  LOL 

It is, therefore, not an epoxy like Etex or D2T, not is it a polyester like Solarez.  By nature, epoxies are two part and cure to form a bond.  Some new epoxies are single part with a catalyst in them that cures from something already in the air, or water, or......  One example is epoxy wall paint that does not cure in the can but cures when exposed to the air once painted.

This stuff does bond to surfaces like an Epoxy would, but if it cannot get exposure to UV, it does not cure.  So.......... I am not quite sure if it meets the definition of an epoxy or not.

BigFischer,

The test sample I used did not yellow in the year I had it.  Before I moved from Washington State to Louisiana, I had a thin sheet I made by pouring it in a thin layer in a Silicone plate and curing it in the sun.  I hung it in the sun to see what would happen, like get brittle or yellow or crack or .....  It held up very well.  I don't know if I still have it now that I moved, I have not got my man-cave put back together, but, if I find it, I will take a photo on white paper.  So far, unlike epoxies, there has not been any need to put a non yellowing agent in it. 

In fact, the reason that epoxies yellow with age is frequently UV damage.  In this case, UV does not damage it, it is a requirement to cure it.

Raven, I guess it this respect, it is like an epoxy........ but the catalyst cures by reacting with UV light.  In that same note, I guess the polyester resin of Solarez is also an epoxy.

Not quite sure how to answer this one...... :?