RSNeely

Beaver Mold

It centerns on money. As long as you do not sell them for cash, you can make them. So yes you can make anything out there to use or trade or give away!

This is one of the biggest myths concerning patents, It does not matter if you sell the baits or not, just the mere act of copying the patented product violates the patent. I you make a pop mold of RI's beaver and make 10 baits for your self, then they send you a cease and desist you must comply or you can be taken to court on a patent violation. 

Edited by DaveMc1

to be honest, those baits might be the most popular, but i think you'll find that knock offs or anything similar will work just as well if not better.

if you want to copy an exact bait using POP or any other molding material, do it for yourself and keep it to yourself.

In my opinion it has some flaws actually.  One of the biggest in my opinion is that the body often fouls the hook sets.  Its almost as bad as a Palm Tree.  Years ago I made a prototype with a ribbed body like a ring worm (except closer together) with the same overall profile as the Sweet Beaver and a slightly different tail.  Long before the Missile D-Bomb which is a perfect example of the concept.   When you squeeze it the ribs lay over and compress allowing for a much better hook up ratio than the solid body of the Beaver.  I think if it hadn't been for the difficulties with hookups on the Beaver and other thick body solid baits the current trend for snelled straight shanks hooks for flipping would never have gotten so popular.  

Trust me.  When you look at a bait you can almost always come up with something different that is just as good or better if you think about it long enough.  

In regards to the original post: The fact is that you would have to make and use thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of baits for your own use to break even.  That's if you value your time at zero, and that is time you could have spent fishing instead of making baits.  Sure the mold (if you can find one) is covered by 20 bags of baits, but plastic, color, flake, heating source, mixing stuff, and mistakes till you get it right all cost too.  

Edited by Bob La Londe