SilverXFoX

.62 Wire And Spinners

The Hagens only works up to .051, if you are using .062 I would be using a vise grip with a round nose pliers. Make your first bend so the wire forms a loop with the tag end crossing over the main shaft, then grip the main shaft and the tag end directly behind the loop and lock down with the vise grips. Once you got it locked and locked tight you can use your round nose by sticking the one jaw in the loop and then spin it 3 times, that should give you a strong closed loop but that is heavy wire so you will need a good strong round nose pliers with some elbow grease.

In order to deal with heavier wire I made a little tool from an old screwdriver handle.  On the edge of the Worth hand forming tool are the two pins that help with wire shaping 

100_2650.jpg

Using it as an example I made this

100_0802.jpg

You have to get the first nail in, put your wire against it then cut the nail even with the top of the wire.  Put your piece of wire against the nail again then mark for the next nail, you have to leave just a tiny hair bigger than the wire your going to be bending, then put the nail in and hammer it into the handle.  I left my second nail longer but do need to cut it down. I can do up to .041 wire with it.  You can get the nice round eyelet look then use the visegrips to hold the wire for wrapping the final wraps.  

If I had the tools to do it I'd make the handle out of metal round stock and drill the holes and tap metal pins into it.  

Edited by Fatman

Not the same kind but if you look at the gallery, there are some spinnerbaits I have pictured there in which I used my "lock-bend" to close the loop.

I checked out your stuff.  You do very nice work!

I've always wondered why that kind of snap bend almost never comes apart on chatterbaits and crankbaits, but no one uses it for anything else.

Thanks for all of the good ideas guys I will definitely try your ideas. I played around with my round nose and small pair of vice grip pliers I had and did pretty well with making the loop. I do need to work on getting it straight as its a little off center but it came out good otherwise with nice tight wraps.

Thanks for all of the good ideas guys I will definitely try your ideas. I played around with my round nose and small pair of vice grip pliers I had and did pretty well with making the loop. I do need to work on getting it straight as its a little off center but it came out good otherwise with nice tight wraps.

It will take a little practice but once you get it down you will know exactly where to grab it to make it perfectly straight and once you do enough it will become second nature. The big problem is I don't know of a wire former that will work with that size wire, like I said, the Hagens has a conversion kit to accept .051 and that is pretty much all the wire formers I know of so the only other way is buy hand bending which can be precise once you get muscle memory after doing it a bunch.