BIGCREW

Crankbait Lips

If I remember correctly there's a video somewhere of that exact technique. I think it was Gene (Lincoya) that demonstrated it at one of the TU gatherings at Nathan's home. There was a video of the process at one time, but that's been a few updates ago. You might look in the Hard Bait How To section of the tutorials or do a search for it.

good luck,

Ben

• Like 1

I found a little info but it was using a band saw, what I have in mind is to make a jig to cut multiple lips at one time, it would be similar to a dove tail router jig, lexan is tough stuff so im going to give it a try I think it will work its going to take some time to get the jig made so I dont see me getting it done untill after the holidays

You could do it with a router bit with the bearing on the end of the bit. You would need a thick pattern like 3/4 inch solid wood so the bottom of the bearing would still clear the table. Double surface tape the lexan to the 3/4 wood and follow the wood trimming the lexan as you go. You would need a base plate with a small hole the size of the bit, to stay on the lexan. You would probably need to cut lexan on band saw to get to close size then trim to exact size with router. You could stack several with double surface tape, but I believe you would get some movement on the top layers. Musky Glenn

I have made jigs for a number of things over the years, it wont be hard to do at all, I want to not have to do any trimming on a saw, aside from my last cut that will free the lips from the lexan sheets, I will be using a bit with the bearing on the bottom same as a bit you would use for trimming formica on counter tops, now I just have to find a supplier for the lexan and see how much its going to cost, I have bought some years ago for a race car I used to run and it was some very pricey stuff back then but it was way thicker than what I need now so maybe it wont be to bad, plexiglass would work also but it make break in colder weather thats the reason for going with the lexan

You could do it with a router bit with the bearing on the end of the bit. You would need a thick pattern like 3/4 inch solid wood so the bottom of the bearing would still clear the table. Double surface tape the lexan to the 3/4 wood and follow the wood trimming the lexan as you go. You would need a base plate with a small hole the size of the bit, to stay on the lexan. You would probably need to cut lexan on band saw to get to close size then trim to exact size with router. You could stack several with double surface tape, but I believe you would get some movement on the top layers. Musky Glenn

This works great for me. Just put a nice long handle on your jig, go slow and watch for kick-out. I wouldn't want to try to do more than one though. Only takes about 2 minutes to rough cut and route. John

A press was the first thing that came to my mind but right now having the cash to invest in that type of equipment is out of the question for now, and im not sure how they would come out being punched out, will the edges be smooth or would I have to clean them up on a sander? If I were to get a press I could use it to make other things as well and I know where I can most likely get one, its very old but I see it work and have used it myself before, the company is going to be upgrading to a newer press and the old will most likely be up for sale so I do plan on trying to buy it when the time comes then it would just be a matter of getting some dies made up, that may be pricey unless I find a way to cobble them myself

You'd be hard pressed to "cobble" a punch die unless you know someone who does that sort of thing. We're talking thousandths of an inch clearance to get a good, clean cut. Doing it with hand tools would be almost impossible.

There was some discussion about this not too very long ago. Seems like there was someone recommended that does tool and die work although I can't remember the name. A lot depends on how many lips your talking about. If your just talking about having 20 or 30 made every so often then the punch and die is probably going to be cost prohibitive. And don't forget that if your building baits with more than one style, and size, of lip you'll have to have a die made for each one of them.

Hope you find a solution and that you'll share it with the rest of us if you do.

good luck,

Ben

You'd be hard pressed to "cobble" a punch die unless you know someone who does that sort of thing. We're talking thousandths of an inch clearance to get a good, clean cut. Doing it with hand tools would be almost impossible.

There was some discussion about this not too very long ago. Seems like there was someone recommended that does tool and die work although I can't remember the name. A lot depends on how many lips your talking about. If your just talking about having 20 or 30 made every so often then the punch and die is probably going to be cost prohibitive. And don't forget that if your building baits with more than one style, and size, of lip you'll have to have a die made for each one of them.

Hope you find a solution and that you'll share it with the rest of us if you do.

good luck,

Ben

I'm a hobby builder, and make baits for myself and my friends.

I try not to make my process so expensive that it takes the fun out of building.

I draw the bill shape and pattern on blue tape on the Lexan, include a centerline, drill for the line tie, and install the lips before I do the final shape.  That way I can use the centerline on the bait and the one on the bill to make sure it's installed straight.

Then, once the epoxy I use to install it is set, I sand to the final shape line with my belt sander, and fine tune it with a file, if need be.

If I were making a lot of baits with the same bill, I would probably try and find a way do to more before they were installed, but I only make one at a time.

I have machine shop skills to do it, my grandfather was a tool and die maker and I have all his tools just not the machinery to do it, I have a friend that has the machinery but it was his grandfather's and it hasnt been used in years and none of it is wired up to use at the moment, I have been trying to get him to sell the equipment to me but he seems to be somewhat attached to it with it being his grandfather's I guess I have another friend that works at a machine shop but they dont do much of that kind of work and they are always swamped with contract deadline work so theres no time to play there but im not giving up on trying to buy some equipment for the right price

My thoughts exactly, thats why the punch press was the first thing to come to my mind, sooner or later I will get one, I can make more than just lips with it also, I dont plan to just make crankbait lips with it thats for sure I would have to much wrapped up in it for it only to be used for one thing

My thoughts exactly, thats why the punch press was the first thing to come to my mind, sooner or later I will get one, I can make more than just lips with it also, I dont plan to just make crankbait lips with it thats for sure I would have to much wrapped up in it for it only to be used for one thing

If you are thinking of making a business out of it, you could probably sell a bunch of Lexan lips here.

I was just interested in making my own, but hey if theres a market for them why not sell some, I didnt really think there would be to many people looking to buy because most guys are either making there own or already have a sourse for getting them

If you do a search here, you'll see the question of crankbait lips or bills comes up often.

Just be sure to investigate what's involved with actually starting and maintaining a business.  It can be pretty overwhelming if you have never done it, and expensive, too.

I just like to be able to make all the parts myself when I can and when I do get a press I wouldn't mind selling some to offset the cost of the press and dies, I have been looking at other ways to do it and a laser cutter is one cool machine, you can cut lexan do engraving and it runs just liks you would print on your computer simple and easy to use I seen one for under $800.00 and a few others up to $2700.00 yea its a big investment but if you can make enough things to pay it off why not if things went well with sales I would stick with it who knows it may just grow from there

EBay and Amazon, also do a Google search also thats where I started looking first, I read a lot of reviews on a few different models and the conclusion is thats its a crap shoot with any of them, also I think a lot of the problems could be operator error, check them out and post what you think after reading some reviews on a few models