timbass

Best Or Favorite Airbrush Paints

So, I am just starting to airbrush crankbaits among other things and I was wondering what you all like to use for paints.  I see Createx gets lots of mentions, but I am curious who else gets the nod for good paint.  Also, what style of paint is best.  From some articles I have read most people prefer to use the pearlized, fluorescent and iridescent paint, but typically do not use opaque colors.  However, I have seen one guy who uses opaque white, but only to base coat all his lures.  With that said, I was wondering why you don't you opaque paints, but on the other hand if you do, then why do you?  I know its a goofy question, but I am just looking for some insight on how the paint will turn out when finished and maybe save a few bucks on rookie mistakes.  So, please enlighten me if you would.  I would love to hear what works best for you.  Thanks. -Tim

I use all of them:  transparents, opaques, and pearls.  Alot of guys only use the transparents but I don't like to limit myself.  You can make an opaque transparent just by thinning it.  Paints made for airbrushing usually cost a little more because they thinned them down for you but you can save alot of money by buying water based acrylic paints for paint brushes and thinning them down to spray through your airbrush.  I have 189 different colors and 91 of them are done this way.  I am slowly phasing out all of my createx and wildlife colors because this way is much cheaper and there are far more colors available.  Walmart sells apple barrel water based acrylic paints for 50 cents for a 2 oz bottle.  I transfer that paint to a 4 ounce bottle and then do a 60/40 mix with water.  60 percent paint and 40 percent water.  If you are using a smaller needle than me then do a 50/50 mix. Once you start doing this you will find there are many options for paint around you locally and you may never have to order paint again.

Thank you so much for all the great advice.  It is easy to get sucked into the "dogma" of buying specific things to get the job done right, but this proves that your best tool is knowledge, so thank you for some of that good knowledge.  Bass100, thanks for breaking down your process step-by-step.  Your insight is going to be a huge help for me getting started.  Thanks everyone.

Yes learn to clean your airbrush and flush after each color, I blast a cup of warm water through after each color and never wait as the paint will be much harder to clean out if it starts to dry.

As for the paints I too started with Createx but Im gradually using more artist acrylics thinned with window cleaner, still lots of experimenting to do and having fun while doing so.

I use a variety including Createx, Auto-Air, and several brands of taxidermy acrylic latex.  Mixing and matching is not a problem.  As to why use "transparent" versus opaque colors -  you can layer colors with transparent paint, which allows you to blend colors for a more natural effect.  Shoot them heavier and they become opaque, so they offer a wider range of effects.  Yes, you can thin opaque colors to get to something resembling a transparent color but I'd rather not fiddle with paint mixing and thinning if I don't have to.  Opaque paints cover quicker with less paint so I use them mostly for color basecoating, usually white, to hide wood grain and give a consistent color base for later paint layers.

I use Polytranspar Superhide White to color basecoat lures.  It has lots of pigment to hide wood grain quickly, sprays well, and dries quickly to a hard smooth coating.  I've tried other "cover whites" but this is the best I've found.

Createx is the biggest name in airbrush paint for a reason - it's high quality, consistent, and sold everywhere.  If there's a downside, it's that it has a rather limited color palette so you need to either mix colors to get specific effects or go to other sources.  I do the latter and buy taxidermy paint that comes in an almost infinite array of specialized colors/effects.  Of the taxidermy paints, I like Smith Wildlife for consistency but will try anything that catches my fancy.  Mixing brands of acrylic latex on a bait has not been a problem for me.  Taxidermy paints come ready-to-shoot.  taxidermy.com is a gateway site for many of the suppliers and most companies sell both acrylic latex and lacquer versions of their paints - so be careful to order the version you want.

Years ago Bob shared the taxidermy.com site with me, and it opened me up to a whole 'nother world of 3D effects, from layering their paints over others.  Doing that gives depth to almost any paint scheme.

Once you've gotten comfortable with the actual process of airbrushing, so you can begin to explore different paint effects and schemes, the taxidermy paints are a wonderful next step.