Artjr

Information Question From Potential New Guy

Hello,

I have been thinking about getting into making my own soft plastics. Mostly for crappie and panfish and ice fishing. However, here is my questions. 

1. Is there a book I can buy that is basically an idiots guide too making plastic lures?? LOL

2. In your opinoin which companies or company has the best starter kits for a new guy?

3. Is it cheaper to pour your own??

Thanks, I realize I probably have 10,000 more questions to come!!

Thank You,

Art

First, welcome to the site.  I'm sure that there are books.  There are utube videos and there is a sticky about don'ts for newbies on this site. 

Check some sites like Jann's Netcraft, Lurecraft, Bear's Baits, and Barlow's for starter kits.

No it isn't cheaper.  My first tube cost me $300.00 counting the molds, plastisol, glitter, colorants, gloves, and shipping.  Of course the cost comes down as I make more but may never reach the level of store bought but I can have any color or combination that I want.

LOL - I doubt that you can really ever break even but you can customize.  Actually, you can break even if you go with the simple designs that you can get at Netcraft, etc.

I got into it because I had a favorite that production stopped on.  I found a way to make my own, then a custom version, and then, Better Read Vodkaman's signature.

:?

:oooh:

I started by making all my molds from POP.  If you spend the time to do them correctly you will have a product you can sell.  With my initial investment  of a gallon of plastic, 3 colors, few colors, POP, devcon, etc...everything else was paid for by selling product afterwards.  To be fair at that time hand pours brought in decent money (2 to 3x what guys sell now as it is a different game now).  I bought several aluminum molds after selling baits from that first gallon of plastic.

It really doesn't pay for itself for many guys.  They freak out over store prices and decide they will make their own for cheaper.  Unless you fish a lot it isn't going to pay for itself.  i used to get in over 200 days a year and soft plastic cost would add up during that year.   Once you start selling things change but one has to be honest about the time and money they are spending.  So many that think they are making money aren't (or would make more pushing carts in at Wally World working a lot less hours).  Some that are making money would make a heck of a lot more if they shopped the work out as they aren't making anything custom just stock colors from the same stock molds most have.  So many of the tackle shows I have been to over the years that have small guy companies are selling the same readily available molds that everyone has access to and the end product is really a mass produced product in a saturated market...meaning you are selling for cheap to compete (not where I want to be when trying to make money when selling relatively low volumes). 

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

One thing I can add is you're much better off if you stay away from starter kits.  They usually have plastic and molds you'll never use.  I think it's best to start with a bait that YOU use quite often and go from there.  Trust me......this hobby is awfully addicting and will lead to many more molds, colors, glitter, etc.

Good luck! 

One thing I can add is you're much better off if you stay away from starter kits.  They usually have plastic and molds you'll never use.  I think it's best to start with a bait that YOU use quite often and go from there.  Trust me......this hobby is awfully addicting and will lead to many more molds, colors, glitter, etc.

Good luck! 

Most of the modern starter kits out there now let you choose your mold, colours and flake. 

its a dam money pit.....lol   you wouldn't like it... :halo::halo::halo:

Lol......I was gonna say pretty much the same thing.

CAN you save money by making your own baits?  Yes

WILL you save money by making your own baits?  Probably not

Reason being is (just like anything else) the better you get, the more $ you will spend.  More molds, colors, glitters, scent........AND you'll get into laminates, veins, swirls, etc.  Seriously, the possibilities are endless.  Just keep it smart when spending............

The two big expenses are buying molds and plastic.

The part were you can save money, is by designing your own lure, building a master and making your own plaster or RTV molds. But, this is the part that no one likes doing; It is tedious, messy, time consuming, no guarantee of success and when you finally get that mold finished, there are still zero baits in your box.

The part that puts baits in the box and can actually make you a bit of money, is pouring and this is the bit that everyone enjoys. So, most pourers skip the first part and buy the finished aluminium molds; They are clean, tidy, guaranteed success, they look pretty and are very collectable.

Personally, I would make the molds, but I am strange, that is the part I enjoy :)

Dave

I make my own plastic swim baits, creatures and drop shot worms and save a ton of money. I use Durams water putty for the molds. Seal the molds with thinned out Devcon 2Ton a couple of times. That will give it the shinny finish. I can make a 4-5 cavity top pour mold for approx $3-4. You'll burn through about a gal of plastisol getting used to pouring but that's about how much I spend on retail soft plastics during the year anyway. Oh yeah buy the plastisol during the holidays when there is free shipping. Everything else I had extra around the house.

I make my own plastic swim baits, creatures and drop shot worms and save a ton of money. I use Durams water putty for the molds. Seal the molds with thinned out Devcon 2Ton a couple of times. That will give it the shinny finish. I can make a 4-5 cavity top pour mold for approx $3-4. You'll burn through about a gal of plastisol getting used to pouring but that's about how much I spend on retail soft plastics during the year anyway. Oh yeah buy the plastisol during the holidays when there is free shipping. Everything else I had extra around the house.

Where are you finding plastisol with free shipping?

Art,

RUN RUN RUN! Crack doesn't have a thing on this hobby. You will start off with a single electric burner and tin pot and next thing you know your shopping for microwaves at yard sales.

If that doesn't convince you go to the website in my signature and get some prices on startup costs. You can also check out some videos and see what is headed your way. Make sure to watch the Warning video its meant for you.

All that said... there is nothing more rewarding then catching fish on baits you made yourself.