TheSilverFox

Vmc Hooks?

I've been putting vmc round bend hooks on my cranks for a while now and have never had a problem. Recently I've broke 3 of them. I haven't had anyone I've made for say anything about breaking any. I like the hooks and his time of year when they are slapping at the bait, it'll usually still stick them. Each time it's only been one point that has broken. Any of you guys broke any or had anyone you sell to complain about it? I'm wondering if I got a bad run from LPO?

I think VMC probably has better tempering on their best grade trebles compared to the old bronze VMC hooks I used to buy.  I used to be able to cut a bronze VMC treble's hook eye with cutters, bend it out to fit it on a blade bait, and bend it back with no problem.  I haven't tried that recently but cutting/bending the wire on a Gamakatsu hook is definitely out - it will break every time due to its harder tempering.  Of course, harder tempering means no bent out hooks and the points stay sharper longer than less tempered hooks - which is why I use Gamakatsu on my personal-use baits.  I haven't had any complaints about the black VMC trebles I put on baits that I give away to friends and family though.  They tend not to look gift horses in the mouth!  But I think you get what you pay for in treble hooks and with Gamy's I don't have to worry about sharpness or strength.

I hate to switch... the hooks are sharp and flex a little which I like. I had a 5ish pound smallmouth break the point on one weekend before last. I had another that I just noticed was broke after I lost a fish... may have been broken before that one. Then I popped the hook out a largemouth last weekend that broke when I did it. This has been in the last 3 weeks... all from the same pack. Maybe just bad luck.

I like a round bend this time of year since i have so many slap the bait that I miss with triple grips. I put eagle claw hooks on some baits like traps... stronger hooks that i feel you need.

what's another thinner wire round bend hook that's good? Anybody got a good place to buy them from? I've been buying all mine from LPO when I buy bulk.

Mustad makes a KVD Elite Round Bend with a standard wire and shank length. I haven't used this particular hook, but have used the KVD Elite Triple Grips and they are sticky sharp. They always seem to draw blood whenever I put them on a bait. Even when I'm extra careful. If you want to look at the Elite Round Bend the link is below.

I used to use Gammies and they make a good round bend hook as well. It just seems the KVD triple grips hold better. Seems like I have to use a set of pliers every time when taking the triple grips out of the mouth of a bass.

Ben

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mustad_KVD_Elite_Round_Bend_Treble_Hook/descpage-MKVDRBD.html

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1

I get my KVD treble hooks from Andrew Peters on facebook.  Check out his page, just search Cedar run outdoors.  They sell out fast, but they get them back in stock often.  Cheapest place you will find for KVD trebles.  I think the last batch i bought was 100 of the #4 triple grips for $22 shipped. 

• Like 1

I like a round bend this time of year since i have so many slap the bait that I miss with triple grips. I put eagle claw hooks on some baits like traps... stronger hooks that i feel you need.

what's another thinner wire round bend hook that's good? Anybody got a good place to buy them from? I've been buying all mine from LPO when I buy bulk.

I buy from HooksUSA, they specialize in bulk orders. The smallest pack they do is either 100 or 250 hooks.