BuckMaxx

Airbrushing Soft Plastics

I asked myself the same questions and did some searching on youtube . I highly suggest you watch his videos some great stuff I found that answered alot of my own questions . Lee Butz ,  Lee's Custom Baits 

Click on his profile to watch the other 7 videos in that series . 

Edited by Carolina Fisher

Thanks for posting this vid Carolina Fisher! I watched al of them and now I am buying myself airbrush equipment and paint etc.!

The Lureworks Paint used in the videos, Does it have to be sealed to keep it from washing off in the water? or will it stay on a baits long enough to last at least a few fish before wearing off? I make a killer swim bait but they are so soft that they usually only last for 2-3 fish. Since they only last this long I don't see the point of taking the time to go into great detail on them. I'd like to maybe just accent the tails or maybe add a lateral line or maybe just the back. I also think that dipping them to seal the paint would takeaway from the action they already have. Will the paint last long enough without dipping?

Thanks

Thanks for posting this vid Carolina Fisher! I watched al of them and now I am buying myself airbrush equipment and paint etc.!

The Lureworks Paint used in the videos, Does it have to be sealed to keep it from washing off in the water? or will it stay on a baits long enough to last at least a few fish before wearing off? I make a killer swim bait but they are so soft that they usually only last for 2-3 fish. Since they only last this long I don't see the point of taking the time to go into great detail on them. I'd like to maybe just accent the tails or maybe add a lateral line or maybe just the back. I also think that dipping them to seal the paint would takeaway from the action they already have. Will the paint last long enough without dipping?

Thanks

The colure coat2o water based used does need a sealer coat but not because it will wear off, it bonds just fine, but when dry it will bond to itself unless either dipped or sealed in their vpi clear. so if you have 5-6 swimbaits together they will all stick to each other unless sealed. I said to hell with it and switched back to their VPI paint for everything as it doesn't need to be sealed at all. 

I'm brand new to this. Never airbrushed a Bait in my life LOL!

I just looked up VPI on the Spike it page. Looks like I can just get the clear and mix it with the colorant I already have for my plastics? If what I think I'm reading is correct that will make this much easier to get into! Thanks!

I'm brand new to this. Never airbrushed a Bait in my life LOL!I just looked up VPI on the Spike it page. Looks like I can just get the clear and mix it with the colorant I already have for my plastics? If what I think I'm reading is correct that will make this much easier to get into! Thanks!

I think the site says pearl and glitter not colorants. Colored paint is mixed by them and can be tinted with other vpi colors. GOOD ventilation is a must as you will find out if you get this paint.

I highly recommend using a respirator when dealing with VPI. This is a very low solids by volume material meaning it is mostly solvent. This also means that vigorous mixing is required to get the settled solids suspended.

Of course, I have access to paint shakers and that makes it easy. You might stop by a paint store, buy a respirator and ask them to shake your paint?

Great videos. Thanks for the link. Any idea what that radio or TV program was playing in the background? LOL

I have no idea , I was looking to learn how to paint a scale pattern on soft plastics , so I took to youtube and found his video's . I like that he has great ideas that are very inexpensive without  trying to sell you something . I liked the lure holders with the nails in the simple plywood . I liked , the dollar store comb trick for lateral lines , I had never thought of that . and I wondered about holding a piece of netting on the bait and getting paint all over myself to get scales ,  lol . His homemade boomerang is something cheap , and a great idea to achieve what I was wanting to do . I liked the little cheap mixer he was using . I have never met him but would like too . 

I have no idea , I was looking to learn how to paint a scale pattern on soft plastics , so I took to youtube and found his video's . I like that he has great ideas that are very inexpensive without  trying to sell you something . I liked the lure holders with the nails in the simple plywood . I liked , the dollar store comb trick for lateral lines , I had never thought of that . and I wondered about holding a piece of netting on the bait and getting paint all over myself to get scales ,  lol . His homemade boomerang is something cheap , and a great idea to achieve what I was wanting to do . I liked the little cheap mixer he was using . I have never met him but would like too . 

HaHa then I suggest you turn to the dark side (Hardbaits) as a lot of those tricks are from the hard bait crowd B)

I have water based Createx. Does that work for painting plastic?

This is a question I am very interested in hearing the answer to as well. I can get Createx locally and it would be nice to be able to go pick up what I need when I need it instead of having to wait for paint to be shipped.

If Createx is not compatible with soft plastics, is there any other type of paint that could be picked up at a Hobby Lobby or other similar craft store that would be?

I highly recommend using a respirator when dealing with VPI. This is a very low solids by volume material meaning it is mostly solvent. This also means that vigorous mixing is required to get the settled solids suspended.

Of course, I have access to paint shakers and that makes it easy. You might stop by a paint store, buy a respirator and ask them to shake your paint?

Is there such a thing as a reliable affordable shaker that will easily fit smaller containers such as the two or four ounce bottles of colorant?

I don't make a lot of baits and therefore don't use my materials frequently. One of the things I hate is to have to vigorously shake all my bottles of colorant before using them...

Thanx.

Rick

SE CT

Is there such a thing as a reliable affordable shaker that will easily fit smaller containers such as the two or four ounce bottles of colorant?

I don't make a lot of baits and therefore don't use my materials frequently. One of the things I hate is to have to vigorously shake all my bottles of colorant before using them...

Thanx.

Rick

SE CT

Yes sir amazon has one for 1/2 oz to 2 oz for $40

I watched all the videos and believe it is something that I want to pursue. I ordered a bunch of paint from lureworks. They called me since I was a new customer to answer any questions I may have. One of them was will create work on soft plastics. the short answer is No. the only paint formulated to work on soft plastics is that of lureworks. Something to do with the formulation. If I understood correctly the water based is used when you plan to clearcoat it. they also have a solvent based that will handle being uncoated. AT the end of the conversation the gentleman added quite a bit of samples to my box prior to shipping it out. I'll let you know how the first adventure goes.

A sawzall makes an excellent mixer. I hose clamp the bottle to the side of the blade. I wrap the bottle in a piece of rubber to prevent damage and hopefully keep it from flying across the garage. Start out slow then speed it up.

One of the most dangerous ideas I ever heard off.A bit of stirring w/ a Popsicle type stick or a wooden paint stirrer  followed by 30 seconds of hand shaking. Is that so difficult.?I airbrush paint 1000's of swim-baits w/ Spike -it ,solvent base paint and never had a problem. Now if you leave a small amount in the jar or quart can that sits for a while and becomes very thick,add some solvent ,close the lid and let it sit for  a while. Shaking followed by stirring  occasionally will bring the paint back to usable consistency.

Edited by smallmouthaholic

Has anyone tried one of the battery powered paint mixers like the one shown in the video? I checked them out online and the one in the video is a Badger and the price isn't too bad. Haven't tried one since shaking the bottle has always worked for me, but it might be useful for paints that have sat for a while and the pigments have sank to the bottom.

Ben

Ben I bought a mini drink mixer it was like 6 bucks on amazon it is identical to the badger but for one added difference it came with 4 different attachments and one is narrow like a pencil it has a split in the end so when the unit is on it splays out great for small narrow bottle necks.