Esoxkid06

Screw Eyes In Hard Plastic?

Hey everyone, 

So I'm brand new to the forum, I have been getting a lot of learning in just browsing around. 

I have recently started tinkering with lure building and making blanks, molds etc. for Musky fishing. The thing Im wondering is if screw eyes work for hard plastic baits? I haven't been able to find much info online regarding this, only wood baits. I'm thinking of finding a way to make the mold work so I have the eyes in it, when I pour the resin. on The other hand will the plastic crack if I attempt to screw in the eyes after the bait is made? this is all pretty new to me, and I'm sure there is going to be plenty of trial and error along the way. 

Just a thought but if your going to the trouble of casting with the screw eyes in have you considered through wire construction, I do know some will insert hardwood dowels into balsa baits for the strength factor. I've drilled and screwed eyes into plastic resin but I dabbed it with epoxy and they were bass baits most musky baits have seemed to built to a stronger level. Check out makelure.com Larry Dahlberg likes to make some large baits and he is a authority on resin casting large baits.

Yes, I have thought of through wire construction, And using egg sinkers for weight, its going to be a rise and Dive jerkbait. I was just thinking that the wire wouldnt be thick enough, as far as attaching split rings and the eye for attaching the straight wire jerkbait leaders to. most jerkbaits, even plastic have larger eyes, like screw eye size. just cant figure out how to do it! lol

Just a thought but if your going to the trouble of casting with the screw eyes in have you considered through wire construction, I do know some will insert hardwood dowels into balsa baits for the strength factor. I've drilled and screwed eyes into plastic resin but I dabbed it with epoxy and they were bass baits most musky baits have seemed to built to a stronger level. Check out makelure.com Larry Dahlberg likes to make some large baits and he is a authority on resin casting large baits.

I use 1 3/4" screw eyes cast directly into the mold and have never had a problem.

I make 5 to 10 inch musky baits with them.

awesome thanks for the info. I figured the best way to do it was the way you described. I'll try that out and let you know of the results

If you pre-drill, you can add the screw eyes to hard plastic just fine without issue.  If you cast them in, even better.  Because I make my own molds from RTV, I just place the screw eye in the mold and it holds it in place for me......pour in the resin and all if complete.

I run my screw eye in and then back out again, to cut threads into my pilot hole.  Then I add some brush-on super glue to the threads, and run the screw eye back in to it's final position.  The brush-on glue sets in 30 seconds+-, so I have time to run the eye in and position it.  The excess glue that gathers as the eye goes in forms a kind of lock at the base of the eye loop.

I want to try and lock the eye, so it doesn't unscrew during a fight with a fish, and so I don't have to check it's position before each cast.

In wooden baits, I think it also strengthens the wood around the screw eye a little, and definitely makes the threads in the wood stronger.

I've never had a screw eye pull out.

If you pre-drill, you can add the screw eyes to hard plastic just fine without issue.  If you cast them in, even better.  Because I make my own molds from RTV, I just place the screw eye in the mold and it holds it in place for me......pour in the resin and all if complete.

Thanks for the tips guys