bass ackwards

Counterfit baits!

Counterfeit might be a lil harsh, knockoff is a better term.

It happens alot, if you take a stroll down your local grocery aisle you'll see many generic & store brands using the same colors & text to try & match the leading national brands packaging.

Hopefully the buyer can see the bait well enough to discern the lack of craftsmanship, I can see it quite easily.

Another tip for Jerry would be to come up with a better logo or something else he can register, trademark & protect.

The font he uses is "copperplate gothic" & is on almost every computer so theres nothing wrong with using that font.

If the knockoff maker uses Jerry's full name, well thats a different story entirely, but I would look into trademarking or better branding if I was him.

thanks for sharing.

You know when I first started making baits I decided I wanted to make my "own design". I spent literally weeks working on what I thought were "new" ideas. About this same time I was doing some research at the US Patent Office. What I discovered I have posted here before, there are very few "new lure ideas". Every single part of every lure you see on the market today has been around for a very long time. Jointed baits like Jerry's have been made for a 100 years or longer. Baits with bills just like those all of us here make, a 100 years again. Baits with tails from hair, rubber, grandmas wig, etc., old, old, idea. If you don't believe it, do an online search at the US Patent Office for yourself, it's very easy to do. Type in "fishing lure" or "jointed lure" and when you see the patent click on the "related patents", here is where you will find the old expired patents generated by crafty bait-builders of yesterday.

Now granted Jerry does have a great bait and I don't consider it ethical to blatantly "copy" another's idea but in reality we are all making slight modifications to concepts that have been around for decades. This business is like any other, "cutthroat", if you make something that sells someone is going to copy it.

Jed

That is bad, geez, that's desperation. I don't know why someone would bother stealing the molds to be honest as it would be very obvious where the molds went once the baits started showing up here and there. Not only that but there are a ton of overseas manufacturers that could build a mold from one prototype bait, seems like more risk and bother than it is worth.

Jed

From what I've been told, it's kind of a 'partnership gone bad' type of thing.

You know, I don't like you anymore, soooo I'll just take this to get even. I've heard lots of complaints about this particular person, but just kinda passed it on as hearsay and never judged him. But, this one makes it kinda hard to do that. Especially when so many people speek so highly of Jerry Rago!