zreckman

Do-It Poison Tail Weedless Jig Mold Issue

Are you pouring with a ladle or a Lee IV pot? If you are pouring with a ladle, you should get complete pours. If you are using a Lee pot, shove the sprue hole of the mold onto the nozzle of the Lee pot. Try that. It looks like your lead is cooling before it fully fills the mold cavity. This is a just a guess.

BTW Welcome to Tackle Underground and the Wire Bait Forum.

I bet since you are new to pouring and you are pouring directly from your pot, you are a bit tentative. I agree with Cadman in that it looks like you are pouring too slow and the lead is cooling and blocking a complete pour. Smalljaw once said, try to dump the lead in your mold in reference to pouring faster. It does take practice to pour hot molten lead in a small sprue quickly. Looks like the problem though. Flux and flux often. Read safety tips re fluxing. Good luck.

• Like 1

Well now that I know you have a hot pot 2 I can help you a bit more. Go to Barlows and get the small lead ladle, it holds 1.5oz of lead and has a spout on each side, trust me, it is easier to fill the mold fast with the small ladle versus trying to hold 4lbs and pour. Simply keep the hot pot on the stand and dip the ladle in and take out the lead, the only word of caution is make sure you put the ladle in the lead and let it sit in there for about 5 minutes, that way the lead will come out of the ladle clean instead of sticking right away.

Well now that I know you have a hot pot 2 I can help you a bit more. Go to Barlows and get the small lead ladle, it holds 1.5oz of lead and has a spout on each side, trust me, it is easier to fill the mold fast with the small ladle versus trying to hold 4lbs and pour. Simply keep the hot pot on the stand and dip the ladle in and take out the lead, the only word of caution is make sure you put the ladle in the lead and let it sit in there for about 5 minutes, that way the lead will come out of the ladle clean instead of sticking right away.

X2 on the ladle if you have a hot pot. The reason for the ladle is, the hot pot if you have it full of lead is too heavy to hold and pour lead for any given time. Also with the hot pot, everyone has a tendency to pour slower, because there is the safety factor of pouring out too much lead and getting burned. Pouring too slow and you will get arm fatigue if you pour a lot along with, lead not filling cavity. Pouring too fast and if you miss the sprue hole in the mold, will give you bad pours as well, along with over pouring lead all over the place. Definitely get the ladle smalljaw mentioned (follow his instructions), and you will be pouring like a pro in no-time.

Here's a trick to make ladle pouring easier

1- Spray both sides of the ladle w/ drop-out

or

2- Smoke both sides w/ a beeswax candle

You will need to do either periodically

This will keep the impurities in the lead from forming and affecting the pour spouts. You will pour more accurately without over pouring and making De-molding difficult.