jonister

Making A Proper Jerk Bait

So i made this bait modeled after a rapala husky jerk, but when i tested it of course didnt run right. it dove fine, but had too tight a wiggle and no roll. so i checked the rapala lip style and changed my lip some and gave it the wiggle, but it still has no roll. Now i know the signature rapala husky jerk has wiggle and roll. Do any of the experts have any ideas? i am tempted to cut open my rapala but dont want to waste a 8$ lure. Any thoughts? is it just the signature patented action that we will never acheive? 

I think the HJ model listed on the website is a Husky Jerk.

Body roll can be enhanced by putting the ballast higher in the lure than normal.  I think the higher front ballast in the X-ray of the HJ may be a case in point.  That said, jerkbaits to me are one of the hardest type lures to get to work exactly the way you want.   I fish with a box full of Lucky Craft and Megabass jerkbaits.  I'd build my own if it weren't such a chore to get them right and I consider a $8 Husky Jerk a bargain lure compared to much of the competition.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 1

Generally speaking, baits with a rounder cross section roll more than flat sided baits.

But, like Bob and Ben said ballast location is also very important.

I got my spybaits to roll by raising the ballast.  1/3 of it is above the centerline drawn from line tie to rear prop/hook hanger of the bait.

Spybaits are just sinking jerkbaits with props front and back, and weighted to fall horizontally and slowly, so it should work for your jerkbaits, too.

Certainly try the high ballast thing as suggested above. Personally, I think you just haven't got the balance between the lip and the tow line correct yet. It is a balance of lip length, width, angle, distance back, all balanced against the tow eye position. I couldn't say if it needs raising or lowering, but it will be one or the other.

All the other lure features are in the equation too; shape, density, length etc. If any of these are different then copying the lure isn't going to get you the same Rapala result.

When I build my first prototypes for a new bait, I build the tow eye long, so I can bend up and down, to find the best position for the next prototype build.

Another way is to make the lip too long and gradually trim the lip back until the lure swims as you want it. With this method, you can have the eye in the nose and still find the balance. This is the way I prefer these days.

There is nothing magic, it is just experimentation that is required with any new lure build.

Dave