Pickadoll

Glitter Resin Plastic Lures?

Hello.
Does anyone know how to put glitter on a resin casted lure without making all the carved details like scales, gills, fins disappear? Put some kind of powder glitter into the mold with a brush before pouring the resin? I love glitter lures but I don't know how to make them.
I have made a lot of glitter wood lures before, that is simple but totally another thing.

Hope you understand my question. English is not my language :).

/Pickadoll lures 

Depends how large want your glitter. If you like big chunky glitter flakes then I cant help.

But yes you are correct....You can use a soft paintbrush and "paint" dry pearl powder or small glitter powder in your rtv mold then cast your bait same as always. The bigger the particle size the worse the outcome...Pearl powders work the best because they are usually very fine like .008 and stick to the rtv very good.

I have thought about trying spray adhesive and putting a thin coat on the walls then shaking the large chunky flake around to coat it....once you pour the resign it should pull all the glitter and be good to go but I just don't know if it would be sticky or anything.

Larry D. has some vids on using powders in his molds try the link above you should find them or go to his site.

You get what you put into it man! If you want it to be easy just get some fingernail polish and go to town.

If you want something nice its never going to be easy and if it was easy it wouldn't be considered nice. :mad:

Just remember that patience is the key too all that exists young padawan!

Ok enough Dr Phil.....I think I sniffed too many paint fumes last night!

That is a multi layer paint scheme and I am guessing took at least a week to do waiting for each layer to cure. I have done a few for friends.

1. I would say that the maker put a few layers (2 maybe 3) of epoxy mixed with large glitter on the bait and turned it.
  2. Then he probably used a tool to re carve define the gills and features that he wanted to be prominent.
  3. Then he put foil over the gill area and another epoxy layer over the bait
  4. Then he painted the bait and you guessed it another epoxy layer.

Its not HARD it just takes time and patience.

A quick easier way is to get rattle can clear and spray a tack coat...wait for it to get tacky and sprinkle on glitter....Repeat this until desired effect is achieved ....re define gill area....foil....paint and final clear. you will not get the multi dimensional effect like the one above and it doesn't come out nearly as nice but im guessing patience isn't a strong suit so it may be the way to go. :halo:

Cool looking bait....

Don't tell her I told you about the nail polish!!! :eek:

For a bait that size and the coverage you need I would get a few bottles. You will need a bunch of coats and then a good clear on top.

I haven't played with nail polish that much but I have seen and read others using it here. It would be the lesser of the options listed but the quickest and easiest.

By far the best method for toothy critters is the one I numbered out.

Good luck and post some pics in the gallery when done!