bass100

First Hand Carved Swimbait

I have just completed my first swimbait build and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on TU.  I have never hand carved anything so I am happy with my first bait.  It is 7 3/4 inches long and weighs 4 ounces.  I don't know how well it swims as our water is hard here.  I have a 75 gallon tank that I tune cranks in but it is by far not big enough to test this bait.  I made several mistakes but the next build should go alot smoother.  I have done just about everything in luremaking and I think I have found my true addiction.

firstswimbait1.JPG

firstswimbait3.JPG

firstswimbait1.JPG

firstswimbait3.JPG

firstswimbait1.JPG

firstswimbait3.JPG

firstswimbait1.JPG

firstswimbait3.JPG

firstswimbait1.JPG

firstswimbait3.JPG

firstswimbait1.JPG

firstswimbait3.JPG

firstswimbait1.JPG

firstswimbait3.JPG

firstswimbait1.JPG

firstswimbait3.JPG

post-16753-0-18846000-1421968914_thumb.jpg

post-16753-0-62725200-1421968960_thumb.jpg

I used a standard hinge pin for my joint.

Yes, just plain old paint brush fibers.

Being the first one I don't plan on it swimming very well.  My experience is with soft swimbaits and not hard ones so I have alot to learn but I am OK with that because they sure are fun to build. 

Thanks Ben.  I am fortunate that I have all the tools needed to make the build easy.  6 months ago I sold all of my plastics and lead stuff off in one lot.  Most of it was from when I had the business and I wasn't finding it fun or challenging anymore (the nice thing is I still have access to all of it).  So I have been focusing more on airbrushing and now building swimbaits.

Great looking bait!

Post how it swims, as soon as your hard water melts.

Believe it or not Mark you were my biggest inspiration.  I kept seeing the baits you made and I decided to look into it.  Everytime you posted about your PVC baits I would research a little more.  Thanks.