Dink Mendez

Jig & Swim Jig Hook ?

I'm making some jig and some swimbait jig heads. I'm using the 30 degree hook on the molds. Just had one big question. I've always use round bend jig and swimbait hook. My close personal friend don't me to switch to the  " wide gap jig hook".  I have never used the hooks like that design, any feed back on those type of hooks would be great. 

I'm going to use them on a 3/8, 1/2 , 3/4 swimbait & 1/4 , 3/8 jig. I don't know any close friend that use the ewg jig hooks, and feed back would help. Thanks

A lot of this is personal preference. I have used both, On swim baits, I like EWG hooks, I believe they give the plastic bait more room to swim and they look more natural in the water. But again depends on what you have confidence in and what actually works for you.

Round bends will hook better when fish are swiping at a bait but the EWG seems to hold better, at least it does for me. Anyway, for a regular jig I've had some really good success in heavy cover with an EWG hook and a 1/8oz poison tail jig with a 1/0 91786 Mustad EWG style is a killer little jig that I seldom miss a fish that hits it. I worry about larger head sizes with EWG style hooks because of the same reason you reel set with heavy football heads, it may cause the fish's mouth to blow open and not get hooked, now whether it happens or not I do not know but using a 4/0 EWG hook on a 1/2oz arky head jig. I'd say that you'd be better off sticking to the round heads, the EWG style is something that anglers either love or hate, it all depends on your style and how you set the hook when using those.

• Like 1

For example; EWG 5/0 hook on a 1/2 swimhead with a Keitch 5' 8'' Swimbait ; I was told the Ewg would be better for swim action and balance. The pitch and angle of the hook would grap the hook set better on the fish. I don't know. It hard to change sometimes. For example; my friend said " stick a regular j off set hook on a soft twitch bait, not very good hook percentage, but with the put a ewg off set hook on, the hook set percentage goes up" that was told to me. Great information fellows

A lot of this is personal preference. I have used both, On swim baits, I like EWG hooks, I believe they give the plastic bait more room to swim and they look more natural in the water. But again depends on what you have confidence in and what actually works for you.

Just want to know if you can expand on the the phase "swim  and they look more natural". The hook set or pitch kick the bait up different or more swimming tail action. Just curious.

For example; EWG 5/0 hook on a 1/2 swimhead with a Keitch 5' 8'' Swimbait ; I was told the Ewg would be better for swim action and balance. The pitch and angle of the hook would grap the hook set better on the fish. I don't know. It hard to change sometimes. For example; my friend said " stick a regular j off set hook on a soft twitch bait, not very good hook percentage, but with the put a ewg off set hook on, the hook set percentage goes up" that was told to me. Great information fellows

Here is how I look at it, if you take the EWG hook on a swim jig or on a swim bait jig head, you'll notice that the hook point is facing downward, not a lot but just a little bit and when you compare that to the round bend, you'll understand why the round bend would have a better hook up percentage. Both have pros and cons but I find the EWG in smaller sizes with a bottom bouncing jig is really good but in larger sizes or moving type baits I prefer the round bend as I have more confidence. Now a weighted swim bait hook, that is where I like the EWG style, that lets me use bigger swim baits as the gap is going to allow more hook to penetrate that a standard round bend.