Tony Maxwell

Shaw Grigsby Edition Quantum Baitcaster

Can anyone explain how to get this reel apart for cleaning? It has a "Bayonet release" button (lever) on the bottom but I can't get it to make anything come apart. The reel is a SGA600CX 6 bearing reel with 6.2:1 gears. I picked it up at a flea market Saturday for a good price. Also looking for a schematic for this reel. Thanks for your assistance. Tony

I found a site online that has reel schematics, but did not find one for the reel you have. Fortunately they had a notation that said if you didn't see the schematic you needed to email him and he would post it on his site. The link is below.

hope this helps,

Ben

http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/reel-shop/schematics/quantum-schematics.html

Was just looking at another forum and a guy on there had a problem like yours. Same reel. 

A poster said, the SGA600CX is close relative to the Accurist CX.  Might look that one up and see what`s....what.  If it`s that close you should be able to figure it out.

When you do get into your  reel..............well you`ll see.

The majority of my reels are quantums. If it has not been apart in a while you may have to depress the lever and then lightly tap the side plate with a rubber mallet to get it freed up. Had several energy PT's that I reworked for a friend and I had to beat every side plate off. But these reels hadn't been into in 6 years.

• Like 1

You can also check out mikesreelrepair. he has hundreds of schematics with the part numbers for all the parts. Quantums usually fail either in the bearings or the bushings that align everything. There cheaper reels use a lot of plastic bushings which you can just swap out with the stainless ones either from another quantum. But I have had to use some ABU bushings and alittle dremel work to get everything smooth.

All of my Quantum reels release in a counter clockwise direction.  If you're holding the reel with the releasable side up, slide the bayonet release away from the side plate, and then turn the top of the plate toward the bayonet release.

I had one that was really tight, so I did what Bigun suggested.  Once I had it open, I was able to ease up the locking setup a tad.

Thanks for all the assistance. Finally went to the Cincinnati Bass Pro Shop and looked at the paperwork from a new Quantum. It said the same thing you all did. Slide the bayonet release over and rotate the side plate. Worked fine last long time, I hope. Only thing nobody mentioned was to be careful about loading the spring up without having the side plate back on. Thank goodness for no carpet in my shop. The floor is now clean too. Found both the bayonet and the spring and it only took an hour or so.

• Like 1