Mr_Scrogg

Ec L098Bp For Swinging Football

I was hoping it was a needle point model, but, for the price, it will work

It is a needle point, Mustad, Eagle Claw, and VMC make needle point hooks, VMC calls theirs the "cone cut barbarian", Mustad calls theirs the "Ultra Point", and EC calls theres "laser sharp" but it is a needle point hook.

Oh, ok. It wasn't listed as a needle point like their 60* flat eye jig hooks

Cool.

That is because some of those hooks are new, like the L111BP or the L786BP, the L in front designates laser sharp. When it comes to hooks, a lot of people don't understand that there are different types of points so putting a Gamakatsu against a VMC is a true measure of which hook is sharper because they use different points. For an example, if you look at Gamakatsu, Owner and Trokar, these hook brands are extremely sharp because they use what is called a cutting point, it is called that because the hook is sharpened on 2 or more beveled edges creating a cutting surface like a steak knife. Eagle Claw, VMC, and Mustad have what is called needle points or penetrating points in which the point sharpened more like a spear made to puncture rather than cut. There are pros and cons to each one and while you can use one type of point to cover all your fishing, there are times when one is better than the other. I also have to say that Owner does make hooks with a super needle point as they call it but for the most part they make cutting points.

I've lost enough fish using "cutting point" hooks I'll never have another in the boat.  

That was the big complaint when Owner first came out with their cutting point...it was supposed to open too big a hole on the way in, so fish could throw it more easily.

Now Smalljaw says Gamakatsu, Owner, and Trokar all have cutting points, so is it really that bad?

Of course, I won't pay for Trokar hooks anyway.  To me, it's like buying a $.10 cup of coffee at Starbucks for $1.75.

That was the big complaint when Owner first came out with their cutting point...it was supposed to open too big a hole on the way in, so fish could throw it more easily.

Now Smalljaw says Gamakatsu, Owner, and Trokar all have cutting points, so is it really that bad?

Of course, I won't pay for Trokar hooks anyway.  To me, it's like buying a $.10 cup of coffee at Starbucks for $1.75.

Cutting points have a purpose, Texas Rigs and jigs, basically any bait that is going to either hook the fish in the roof of the mouth or if the hook have a thick plastic bait that the point must penetrate like beavers and other creature baits.  One place I will not use a cutting point is on a spinnerbait, I tried out Gamakatsu spinnerbait hooks when they came out with one and I did lose some fish, really didn't know why and one fish I got to the boat I lipped and as some as slack got in the line the bait fell out and that is when I noticed the hole. Bass seem to hit spinnerbaits from the side, well at least for me they do, and they end up with the bait in the fleshy membrane part of their mouth and that is where the cutting points are bad, when the fish shakes its head the points act like a saw and cut and tear a large hole and if you make a mistake and the fish gets slack, well the hook falls out and the fish is gone.

Cutting points have a purpose, Texas Rigs and jigs, basically any bait that is going to either hook the fish in the roof of the mouth or if the hook have a thick plastic bait that the point must penetrate like beavers and other creature baits.  One place I will not use a cutting point is on a spinnerbait, I tried out Gamakatsu spinnerbait hooks when they came out with one and I did lose some fish, really didn't know why and one fish I got to the boat I lipped and as some as slack got in the line the bait fell out and that is when I noticed the hole. Bass seem to hit spinnerbaits from the side, well at least for me they do, and they end up with the bait in the fleshy membrane part of their mouth and that is where the cutting points are bad, when the fish shakes its head the points act like a saw and cut and tear a large hole and if you make a mistake and the fish gets slack, well the hook falls out and the fish is gone.

That makes sense.

I throw the fat Ika a lot, and that is a fat piece of plastic.

I found the perfect hook for center rigging it was a Mustad Mega Lite 5/0.  It was a needle point, but it had enough bite that if I got bit, counted to three and then set, I stuck most of the fish in the roof of the mouth, or somewhere on the inside of the mouth.

Unfortunately, Mustad discontinued that hook.  It was a lite wire hook that was still tempered strong, and had a deep bite.  

I'm searching now for a replacement.